Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #1

Share |

Black Pipe/CSST Combo Bonding

Hi All,

I've read previous threads about bonding Black Pipe and CSST to the Service Entrance. I WILL call my utility company to find their preferred method as in the end most threads point to that. Background : Had new gas service meter installed for a "professionally" installed gas log set. The installer was supposed to bond the pipe to the service entrance ground according to his quote. Well, to my surprise while working in the crawlspace this weekend, it appears he did not have enough 6g wire to make it to the service entrance (about 40ft) so decided to bond to a copper water pipe about 20ft away. The copper pipe is being replaced with non-metal. I'll fight that battle later, but here is my question. Does it matter where the black iron is bonded? Can I place the bonding clamp anywhere on the pipe to get it closer to the service entrance ground? This would make it farther from the gas meter. The iron pipe has since been extended closer to the service entrance. FYI, the black pipe is a "trunk" line from the meter and the csst is used off the pipe for short 10' (or less) runs to appliance disconnects. Thanks for any constructive comments you might have.
mcbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #2

Black Pipe/CSST Combo Bonding

"The rigid pipe joints are a well recognized cause of gas leaks and fires. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) publishes the Guide for Fire and Explosion Investigations (NFPA 921), and notes in Chapter 9 that joints and fittings in rigid pipe systems are the most common sources of gas leakages and gas fires and explosions"
plumbthat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bonding, clamp, gas pipe, service entrance