Black Material In Water Filter - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Black material in water filter

Hello

My wife and I recently bought an old farm house. The house came with a rather elaborate water filtration system. From the main well, the water enters a tank for iron removal then goes to a water softener, and then through a filtration system before heading into the house. At the point between the main well line and the iron filtration system, there is a filter which hangs off the water pipe and filters the water just before it enters the iron filtration system. The filter is just a tubular paper filter, which fits into an 8in plastic cup which screws on to the main water line. The cup is clear plastic and it is see through, however as the filter gets dirty, the water blackens and I am no longer able to see through the filter cup anymore.

I was told to make sure that I change the filter approximately once every 2 to 3 months. While I fully understand the job of a filter, there is a black material which the filter seems to be covered with when its time to change it. In addition, the inner side of the filter cup becomes completely black with this material. I spoke with the guy who works in the well industry, and he called it hydrogen - "something" and defined it as a combination of all of the minerals in the water. I ask him if this material was toxic in anyway and he said no.

I was wondering if someone could better define the hydrogen term that he used, and verify the information.

Advertisement

Last edited by Sartrean; 03-07-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Sartrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

You could read this

http://ohioline.osu.edu/aex-fact/0319.html

Mark

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I believe that the previous poster is on the right track as Hydrogen Sulfide, when oxidized, falls out of water and turns black. I believe manganese does this as well. You may have a high amount of disolved oxygen in your water which would aid the process of oxidation. The iron filter was probably put in to help remove the HS or manganese. I would think that the iron filter would handle removing this from the water, but it could be the case that the filter is installed to help lower the burden of the iron filter and extend its life.
guisertj81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

If your water has hydrogen sulfide, a gas, the water will smell of rotten eggs before treatment/removal. Manganese has no odor. So if your water has the rotten eggs smell the black substance may be precipitated hydrogen sulfide or manganese, or both. If no odor it is probably a preciptated form of manganese. Both oxygen and chlorine will react with hydrogen sulfide and manganese and create a form which will preciptate out of the water or which can be mechanically filtered.
Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Thank you all for helping put our minds at ease. It does not appear toxic as much as a nuisance. Thanks again
Sartrean is offline   Reply With Quote