DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Is Black 4" PVC still in use? (

Randell Tarin 01-27-2008 04:52 PM

Is Black 4" PVC still in use?
I have several lengths of Black 4" PVC.

1. Is this still used for waste drainage?

2. Is it a different kind of PVC from schedule 40?

3. Can the two be used together? Can schedule 40 PVC connectors be used on the black PVC?

jerryh3 01-27-2008 04:57 PM

Are you sure it's PVC and not ABS?

Randell Tarin 01-27-2008 05:17 PM

I checked. Yes it is ABS. Do you have to use ABS fittings or can it be used with PVC?

Mike Swearingen 01-27-2008 07:24 PM

ABS has to have ABS "glue" and PVC has to have PVC cleaner and "glue".
To connect the two requires another special "glue" designed for the purpose. Check the container to get the right kind, or it won't hold.
Good luck!

bigMikeB 01-28-2008 05:15 AM

The combo glue isn't code approved in many places, most guys would ise a male-female threaded connection in that case.

Marlin 01-28-2008 05:28 AM

A banded no hub clamp should be fine as well so long as it isn't being buried.

ranman469 01-28-2008 05:58 AM

you can bury a code approved shielded band. thats the easy est way to make a connection with different types of pipes. just get the proper band

bigMikeB 01-28-2008 06:02 AM

It's just cheaper and easier to use the proper coupling and leave no-hub and Ferncos for cast iron or clay where there is no other choice.

Randell Tarin 01-28-2008 11:37 PM

This is going in a new install. I have a couple of guest cottages on my property and there getting a new septic sytem.

Is the band you guys are talking about the rubber boot with the metal band wrapping around it?

Mike Swearingen 01-29-2008 05:42 AM

For burial, the neoprene rubber sleeve with two stainless steel bands (aka name brand Fernco coupling) are usually code-approved.
For connections that will NOT be buried in the ground, the no-hub (aka brand name Mission coupling) are usually code-approved. These are the couplings with the stainless steel sleeve over a neoprene rubber sleeve.

ranman469 01-29-2008 05:46 AM

here is one. they tighten to 60in lbs

Randell Tarin 01-29-2008 09:22 AM

Thanks Guys. I have seen these before...just didn't know what they were called. :thumbsup:

jpplumber 02-01-2008 02:27 AM

In Texas, ABS is not code approved, you need to use PVC. What type of coupling you use (fernco or mission band) depends on the municipality that will inspect it, so you need to check with the inspection dept. The fernco's are going to need a shear band around it which essentially makes it a extra heavy mission band. But you need to chuck out that ABS that has been laying around where ever you got it and use PVC so you don't need those hose clamp couplings. The PVC needs to be connected with purple primer and PVC glue. If you have ABS or Cast Iron coming out from under the cottage then you will need to use a transition coupling to the new PVC.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1