Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #1

Share |

BIG pipe leakage!

Hello all,

I just found out last night when walking down into my basement and noticed a cast metal pipe drain pipe is leaking water. The pipe is about 6 - 8 feet long that one end is connected into an elbow of the 4" diameter drain pipe. The 4" drain pipe sit about 4 feet in height and go straight through the back of the basement wall. The pipe probably runs out the the street somewhere.

Can some one please recommend a good replacement and the removal methods for the 2" dia pipe? Should I go buy a pipe in similar size and replace it or should I replace it with a plastic one?

Thank you everyone in advance!

Last edited by bcdinh; 06-30-2012 at 10:24 PM.
bcdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #2

BIG pipe leakage!

A picture sure would have been nice.

Any metal pipe at some point is going to rust out and leak, including all the supply lines.

The best but not cheapest or easyest way would be to just replace all of it.
PVC is cheap and easy to work with, but if you have to hire someone to replace it the labors not going to be cheap.

It is possible to cut out that section of pipe in most cases and use a length of PVC and two hubless connectors to patch it but if that sections bad who's to say what the rest is like.
It's like playing wack a mole when it comes to old plumbing.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #3

BIG pipe leakage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
A picture sure would have been nice.

Any metal pipe at some point is going to rust out and leak, including all the supply lines.

The best but not cheapest or easyest way would be to just replace all of it.
PVC is cheap and easy to work with, but if you have to hire someone to replace it the labors not going to be cheap.

It is possible to cut out that section of pipe in most cases and use a length of PVC and two hubless connectors to patch it but if that sections bad who's to say what the rest is like.
It's like playing wack a mole when it comes to old plumbing.

Oh CR*P!!!!! I was trying to inspect the leaky bathtub pipe but it was so rusted and the elbow broke off right at the exit of the main drain pipe. The main drain pipe go though the back foundation wall (about 4.5 feet up from the ground) to the back yard.... Does anybody know the cost to get this fix?

Thank you everyone in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
BIG pipe leakage!-img_0844_e.jpg   BIG pipe leakage!-img_0845_e.jpg  

Last edited by bcdinh; 06-30-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #4

BIG pipe leakage!

Your going to have to make some local calls to a plumber on this one.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #5

BIG pipe leakage!

Sorry to say but that doesn't look like it's going to be too cheap to repair. Knock out concrete hole, dig down on the outside, replace pipe & wye, repair hole. Phew, that'll be some work for sure.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
DIY staff

BIG pipe leakage!

I agree---that will require some digging out side---costly because of the digging time--sorry--
Old 06-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #7

BIG pipe leakage!

I want to replace the 6" long cast iron pipe left inside the basement w/ all pcv pipe. What is the best connection method to use for the outside pipe? Do I use the same rubber coupling that was used for the inside or what other type of connecter do I need to use so I can connect the iron pipe w/ pcv. Thank you all!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
DIY staff

BIG pipe leakage!

There are many Fernco rubber fittings--those Fernco fitting will allow you to 'boot' onto the iron and change to PVC.

Google Fernco and see what comes up--try google images,also.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #9

BIG pipe leakage!

Thanks for your responses oh'mike...will this Fernco rubber fittings last for a while bury under ground? I don't want to dig it up for another 20 years
Old 06-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
DIY staff

BIG pipe leakage!

They make one with a stainless steel jacket---these are approved for burial in most places---

I have buried the all rubber ones without issue---they are tough,

You may need an angle grinder with a cut off wheel to cut the iron pipe--(cheap tool--I have a couple that cost less than $20)

Renting a 'chain breaker' to snap the iron pipe is an option,too.

For one cut--use the grinder if you have one--for multiple cuts? Rent the chain breaker---
Old 06-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #11

BIG pipe leakage!

I'm far from expert, but as one old house owner to another, you're gonna want to hire some help on this because that's going to be a nightmare if it fails, because you're looking at essentially not being able to get rid of your home wastes from toilet, shower, etc. The digging time is pricey, but frankly, I'd say round up a couple of buddies with shovels and promise them some brewski's and get the digging done before you get the plumber out there to save yourself some heart ache$. There are some times when you can scrimp and others not so much.
OurHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
DIY staff

BIG pipe leakage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurHouse View Post
I'm far from expert, but as one old house owner to another, you're gonna want to hire some help on this because that's going to be a nightmare if it fails, because you're looking at essentially not being able to get rid of your home wastes from toilet, shower, etc. The digging time is pricey, but frankly, I'd say round up a couple of buddies with shovels and promise them some brewski's and get the digging done before you get the plumber out there to save yourself some heart ache$. There are some times when you can scrimp and others not so much.

Sound advice----the job is one you can't walk away from until you are done.

Not brain surgery or rocket science--but there is some learning to be done--and a lot of trips to the store---
Old 06-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #13

BIG pipe leakage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdinh View Post
Thanks for your responses oh'mike...will this Fernco rubber fittings last for a while bury under ground? I don't want to dig it up for another 20 years
You're looking for a shielded coupler. Best kind for underground use.

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VIPlumber For This Useful Post:
bcdinh (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #14

BIG pipe leakage!

Lots of time with old plumbing the way it was run would not meet current codes, may or may not have propper venting, fixtures may have been moved or changed. A real plumber could sort this all out and do it right the first time.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #15
call me E

BIG pipe leakage!

When you dig on the outside be prepared to find that your 4" cast pipe may connect to clay pipe. If so, Fernco makes a transition coupling for that. And while you're in the hole, consider installing an exterior clean out.