Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #16
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 8,939
Share |
Default

best way to make a small water tank?


Have you checked the amps draw of the fridge you plan to use. You may be surprised on your elec bill how expensive that glass of water is going to cost. My neigbor has a filter for drinking water and just runs the water for 30 seconds and the normal cold water temp is good for her. I think it would be cheaper to buy generic bottled water at Costco or WMart and keep it in your main fridge than to run another fridge for a few glasses a day.

__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #17
Learning by Doing
 
Leah Frances's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Easton, Maryland
Posts: 3,156
Blog Entries: 7
Default

best way to make a small water tank?


Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Have you checked the amps draw of the fridge you plan to use. You may be surprised on your elec bill how expensive that glass of water is going to cost. My neigbor has a filter for drinking water and just runs the water for 30 seconds and the normal cold water temp is good for her. I think it would be cheaper to buy generic bottled water at Costco or WMart and keep it in your main fridge than to run another fridge for a few glasses a day.
This is possible (and the primary reason why recycling anything other than AL is not really 'green'). However, it just seems like bad Karma to keep buying all those plastic bottles......
__________________
If I could only remember to THINK about what I was doing before I did it.
Leah Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #18
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 8,939
Default

best way to make a small water tank?


True, but running a nuclear plant in Southern Ontario for his fridge is not so friendly either plus they have had problems with them there. I watched a TV show (How its made or like it) and they have the technology in Germany to completely recycle all pop bottles, sanitize the plastic/make it food grade safe and reuse it again for you got it "more pop bottles". Better off to drink Beer from glass bottles.
Attached Images
 
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #19
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 8,939
Default

best way to make a small water tank?


Solution #2

Put leftover pizza in ziploc bags (they also make blue pie plate ziploc containers)
Put open box of Arm and Hammer baking soda in fridge to absorb other food odors
Continue to use Brita
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #20
Wire Chewer
 
Red Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,199
Default

best way to make a small water tank?


Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Have you checked the amps draw of the fridge you plan to use. You may be surprised on your elec bill how expensive that glass of water is going to cost. My neigbor has a filter for drinking water and just runs the water for 30 seconds and the normal cold water temp is good for her. I think it would be cheaper to buy generic bottled water at Costco or WMart and keep it in your main fridge than to run another fridge for a few glasses a day.
It would just be a small bar type fridge so maybe equivalent to running a water cooler, which might be another possible solution, and simpler. I'm guessing a couple amps, only when it kicks in. Since it would be sitting in the crawlspace and the door never get opened I don't think it will kick in that much. Could also insulate the door seam better as I'd never really need to go in there if I get one where the settings are on the outside.

Though the thought of modding my existing fridge as suggested earlier also sounds like a fun possibility, and it would not be that big of a deal to run plumbing there. Hmmm. The tricky part is not drilling through a refrigerant coil. I guess to be safe I'd have to do it at the side. I guess I could use hose bib type fittings and have a washer hose to connect the fridge to the supply, then have the coil, then reduce to a 1/4 and have some kind of tap inside or through the door. If everything is inside then it wont look as ghetto too, and the water will be instantly cold. The filter would be in the crawlspace for easy access and out of the way. This idea is growing on me.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #21
Member
 
Homerepairguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 745
Default

best way to make a small water tank?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Though the thought of modding my existing fridge as suggested earlier also sounds like a fun possibility, and it would not be that big of a deal to run plumbing there. Hmmm. The tricky part is not drilling through a refrigerant coil. I guess to be safe I'd have to do it at the side. I guess I could use hose bib type fittings and have a washer hose to connect the fridge to the supply, then have the coil, then reduce to a 1/4 and have some kind of tap inside or through the door. If everything is inside then it wont look as ghetto too, and the water will be instantly cold. The filter would be in the crawlspace for easy access and out of the way. This idea is growing on me.
I would advise against using a hose bib fitting and a washer hose to connect the fridge to the supply. The best way is to have a large coil of small diameter pex (or copper) tubing in the back of the fridge from your water filter. The coil should be about 3 feet in diameter and have about 4 loops to act like a giant spring. This will allow you to pull the fridge all the way out from the wall without any detrimental effect on the tubing. When you push the fridge back in, the coil just compresses.

Besides, the washer hose is not made to transport potable water for drinking. It might leave a rubber taste or smell in the water.

HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 04-30-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #22
Wire Chewer
 
Red Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,199
Default

best way to make a small water tank?


I'm thinking in the future if I get another fridge, or if I ever need to move the fridge away completely (retile, or something). Or is there another way I can provide a quick disconnect?
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #23
Member
 
Homerepairguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 745
Default

best way to make a small water tank?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I'm thinking in the future if I get another fridge, or if I ever need to move the fridge away completely (retile, or something). Or is there another way I can provide a quick disconnect?
Our old fridge with water dispenser had the large coils of 1/4" copper tubing behind the fridge that connected to the water dispenser solenoid valve at the rear bottom of the fridge. When we bought a new fridge about 2 years ago, the delivery guys were able to just connect that tubing to the water dispenser solenoid in the new fridge.

So I'm guessing that the connection must be pretty standard. Maybe go to your local plumbing supply and ask them to set you up with a standard connector and they probably sell the tubing that is coiled up in the back too.

When tapping into your cold water supply line, be sure to install a shut off valve right after the tap point so you can shut off the water to your filter and the supply tubing to the fridge in case either develops a leak some time in the future.

HRG

Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is a Hot Water Expansion Tank required Needagameplan Plumbing 9 04-27-2010 03:09 PM
A/C to make hot water walt1122 HVAC 4 04-11-2009 12:16 PM
Toilet jpark Plumbing 18 01-05-2009 07:12 AM
Help with small leak on cold water tank Fronken Plumbing 1 10-17-2008 08:54 AM
Upstairs toilet pipe noise bliss Plumbing 8 01-10-2008 07:55 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.