Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

Best way to hold this cleanout cover shut?

My pipes are older copper and use a 2 bolt on cleanout cover. The problem is the cover is so close to the ground that one of the bolts is actually in the cement, and it actually broke right off when I removed it (had to get the cover removed to get pipes checked). I have another cleanout further down the line so while it's probably code to have this one too, I suppose closing it permanently is an option...

For now I just used that red caulking sealant, and right now I'm waiting for it to dry before giving it a test run. Think this will hold? I did not put the top bolt back as it would probably put too much pressure on the top and separate the bottom part as I cannot add another bolt there. Should I maybe add some plumbers tape around and just tighten it real good? Should I maybe just solder it on, would this be like dealing with water pipes, but bigger? I'm just scared the sealant alone does not hold and lets go one day after a really big #2... that would be crappy.

Pics:

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

not that this is the proper fix but at least for now, I would get a large steel band clamp

and put it across the cover and around the pipe and tighten it up. It would probably be better to put something in the middle of the cover so the pressure would be applied at that point and not at the edges of the cover, which would happen if you did not put some sort of spacer in the center of the cap and it would push more evenly against it's sealing edge.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #3

http://www.ipscorp.com/testtite/mech...s/metalwingnut
Also you could try a plug, some call them inspection plug/test plug, just measure up the inside diameter before you go to the store
Old 11-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE! View Post
http://www.ipscorp.com/testtite/mech...s/metalwingnut
Also you could try a plug, some call them inspection plug/test plug, just measure up the inside diameter before you go to the store

dduuuhhh!!

squirrel, this is the simplest way to do it and it should not crap out on you even if you left it in. I know what you are saying about being knee deep is doo being a concern.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Thanks I'll see if I can find such plug next time I go to the hardware store. I tested my current fix and it seems to be holding up but better play it safe. Might also go with the strapping idea. I think I will make it a project to eventually replace the whole stack. I can probably buy more then enough PVC if I sell the copper. :P
Old 11-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #6

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
not that this is the proper fix but at least for now, I would get a large steel band clamp

and put it across the cover and around the pipe and tighten it up. It would probably be better to put something in the middle of the cover so the pressure would be applied at that point and not at the edges of the cover, which would happen if you did not put some sort of spacer in the center of the cap and it would push more evenly against it's sealing edge.
...And slip off. Which I think is going to happen, anyway!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
...And slip off. Which I think is going to happen, anyway!
and where is it going to slip off to?

If you can't handle it, don't do it. I have had to do similar things and had it work just fine.

I suppose it depends on the competence of the installer.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Quote:
and where is it going to slip off to?

If you can't handle it, don't do it. I have had to do similar things and had it work just fine.

I suppose it depends on the competence of the installer.
I agree with your last line.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
Wire Chewer

Yeah can't see how it would randomly slip off if it's put tight enough. I'd probably just put it to the center anyway for even pressure, or maybe even two; one on the bottom and one on top. Won't look pretty and will be very amateurish but if it works...
Old 11-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #10

I'd take it off & use one of the test plugs in the link
They will actually hold up to a 1 hp pump....for a bit at least
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
I agree with your last line.
I've never had anything like that slip.

why are you trying to start an argument? I make a simple post and you start an argument. If you cannot say something constructive, or at least witty, why not just keep quiet.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I'd take it off & use one of the test plugs in the link
They will actually hold up to a 1 hp pump....for a bit at least
Yeah when I go to the hardware store I'll check to see if they got those first. Guessing all I have to do is push it in and it wont stick out inside too much to slow down water flow?
Old 11-29-2009, 07:39 AM   #13

Nap, my first thought was the same as yours, clamp that puppy, I have an assortment of them from always working on the car, but have used them on plumbing. It all comes down to trying to help each other out, good job,
Old 11-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
I've never had anything like that slip.

why are you trying to start an argument? I make a simple post and you start an argument. If you cannot say something constructive, or at least witty, why not just keep quiet.
So I take it back. I apologize. Originally, I didn't mean that it'll slip off. Only if I did the job, it would. As far as saying something witty. You can't sit down and decide you'll say something. You have to be inspired!!! Sometimes we have to take things with a grain of salt (or sugar)! Again. I didn't mean anything personal. I was only knocking myself.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
So I take it back. I apologize. .
If that was the intent, heck, even if it was not the true intent, I'll accept that apology.

If I misunderstood your intent, then I am the one who needs to apologize and hereby issue said apology.

It seems I have rubbed a few here the wrong way. Since it is not my website and ultimately I and most others are here it help those that do DIY, how about a truce and we'll stick with helping those that want help? I have been trying to do such although I do get sidetracked occasionally still.

let's make DIY Chatroom a place where we help folks and not air dirty laundry in public.

an invitation to anybody that has a disagreement with me, hates me, wants to yell at me, or call me whatever crosses their mind or anything diametrically opposed to those thoughts as well (although those I don't mind on the public forum):

I do have PM's active and will read anything sent to me and more than likely even respond

Last edited by nap; 11-29-2009 at 05:38 PM.