Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2006, 11:49 PM   #1

Share |

Best way to fix a broken flange?

I have lead pipe running to a flange which has split all the way around. What's the best way to go about replaceing the flange?
Someone recommended cutting the lead pipe and useing a rubber fitting with hose clamps (can't remember the name) to go to PVC. Then attaching a new flange to the PVC. Is this the best way to go about it? The lead pipe ends just left of what you can see in the picture into a cast pipe.

Tmb9862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:17 AM   #2

Since the pipe is going into cast iron, I assume there is a "hub" (female opening that the lead goes into). You can buy what is called a "donut" that forms a seal between the hub and the PVC pipe. Then just run the PVC up and cement the new flange on. While it is true that you could cut the lead pipe a few inches out from the cast iron and attach a Fernco or No-Hub coupling, The lead may crush when you tighten the clamps and leak. Lead pipe is not always truly round either, which allows for a bad joint. If there is a piece of cast iron pipe sticking out of the main drain and the lead goes into that, then you could use a coupling. Good luck and reply if you have any further questions.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #3

Thank you for the advice.

One more problem now. The brass piece of the pipe is resting right ontop of this heating pipe. I need to gain what about 1/2in of clearence for the coupling? Lowering the smaller (heating) pipe is a big job. Raising the other would be a matter of replaceing the entire cast pipe. My only other option woucl be to try and pick the drain pipe up to shove the coupler in.

How hard would it be to get that brass piece out and put PVC right into the cast?
Could I go to this connection further down and replace from PVC from there on down?
Old 11-12-2006, 09:34 AM   #4

Sorry, I am a little confused on the pics. Most lead pipe for a toilet is just a lead bend (elbow) that ties into the cast iron within a foot or so. Your pics look like you have a long run of pipe. Can you tell us how much lead pipe you have there? Also, what is the second pic showing? Looks like a large (4 or 6") cast iron line and I am not seeing any lead pipe there. Just trying to make sure what I am looking at.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:46 AM   #5

The first picture is where the lead bend goes into cast iron. You are correct in that it only runs about a foot after the bend.

The second picture is the end of the case iron pipe that the lead bend runs into.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:25 AM   #6

My suggestion would be to support the pipe back behind the hub and then cut the lead off. You will have to dig the lead and okum out of the hub. You may have to take a chisel and collapse the lead pipe to remove it and the brass. The donut will not take up any space (height wise) when installed in the hub. Then you just slip the PVC into the donut. It is a friction fit and you may need some lubricant to get the new pipe into the donut. Make sure you get a cast iron to PVC donut. One other thing, since the pipe looks to be at least 4", you may opt to get a donut that also reduces the pipe size to 3". That would give you a little more space for the new pipe.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
renovations

If you still don't have enough room, you could cut the hub off and use a fernco and abs or pvc from there.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Journeyman Plumber

The way this lead connects to the cast is a brass ferrule, cut the lead bend 2" before the cast hub, this part is solid and this is where you can attach the rubber fernco, the use a 4 x 3 fernco and transtion it to abs or pcv pipe, now add new 90 and then to the flange, sounds easy enough.
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber View Post
The way this lead connects to the cast is a brass ferrule, cut the lead bend 2" before the cast hub, this part is solid and this is where you can attach the rubber fernco, the use a 4 x 3 fernco and transtion it to abs or pcv pipe, now add new 90 and then to the flange, sounds easy enough.
I got more room out of the pipes and that's the plan now. I'm going to cut it right around the line you can see in the picture before it gets bigger. Then put the fernco on there, go to 4in PVC (I already have 4in PVC so why not use it), a 45, then up to the flange.