Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #1

Share |

Best way around doing a job

A customer wants a new sink installed in an area of their house I would rather not put a sink. It is a strange place, and I think when I am done it will not fit into the surroundings very well. I have not given them a price yet, but I feel they want me to do it asap. I could give them a high price and hope they do not take it. I could NOT call them back. I could call them and tell them I am just to busy. Please help... The husband is a very picky contractor that does not have time to do the job. I am very talented and know he will love my craftsmanship. I also feel his wife is pressuring him into the job and he will think the overall job is ridiculous.

paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #2

Have you spoken to him about it?
Are you a licenced plumber? If not there's your out.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #3

Do it.
Not our choice to argue with customers choices. Assuming we are not doing anything that would be a safety hazard, or just stupid using wrong product for the job, and you know it will fail.

I once installed a tub and a vanity in the master bedroom, literally 3' from the end of the bed. Cut the carpet back, installed some tile.
I thought it was a silly idea.
Had to remove the old 1/2 bath, frame in new wall and close off a door next to tub.
Would have been just as easy to build another wall and a bathroom.
I liked it better when it was finished, was not to thrilled about it when building it.
But is what the lady wanted, make em happy.

Although, I would meet and discuss the project with the husband first, could be he does not want the job done, using to busy as a excuse.
We also do remodel work on a gc house. He does all commercial work and is union.
He is busy, sometimes he sends his employees to do some things on his house if has free time.
Is cheaper for him to hire us.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way around doing a job-hpim0101.jpg  
Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #4

It is a utility tub in the garage. Right in front of the (man) door into the house. The clearance between the car and the sink will be minimal. Enough for one person to walk between the car and the sink. Everytime you come in and out of the house you will have to see this dirty sink. Looking down into it as you walk down the steps. I will run the the water lines and 2 " drain through through a rim joice from the basement. That will bring my water lines and drain maybe 8 inches from the garage floor. He does not want the drywall cut. So the supply lines to the sink are going to be at least 15 inches longer than normal. Not to mention how i will make the trap look good. His garage is heated to 50 degrees all winter. He knows his plumbing codes. He does not understand why, but he can quote them. He does not want a licensed plumber because of the money factor. Starting to look like a high bid is in the works.

Last edited by paintdrying; 12-06-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #5

I still think it may be good for you, make it work, leave enough room to get into the house without crawling over the sink ... I think is a good place to have a utility sink.

I once put a utility sink in a garage, it was heated also,
The goal here ... and he was also the gc, I was doing finish work at the time, and this was the gc of who my boss worked for.
And was new construction and a 4 car garage, we had more room.

We put in 2" drain lines, biggest baddest garbage disposal we could find. A nice faucet with sprayer.
And we had more room then you have.
He was a hunter and fisherman, he used the sink to bath his dogs, clean his fish and birds. before bringing into house, wash his hands if working on his truck .... is a great place to have a utility sink.

Just upgrade it a bit from usual utility sink, He will love it and send more work your way.
If the wife needs to go on a diet to get between sink and car .... he may give you a bonus
Old 12-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #6
bbo

don't get involved in anything between them.

If they both agree to do the job as quoted, quote it as you normally would. You should never let business and personal feelings get in the way. you can certainly espress the drawbacks of it as quoted and possibly offer alternatives, but dont try to understand any motives other than what they tell you.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
A customer wants a new sink installed in an area of their house I would rather not put a sink. It is a strange place, and I think when I am done it will not fit into the surroundings very well. I have not given them a price yet, but I feel they want me to do it asap. I could give them a high price and hope they do not take it. I could NOT call them back. I could call them and tell them I am just to busy. Please help... The husband is a very picky contractor that does not have time to do the job. I am very talented and know he will love my craftsmanship. I also feel his wife is pressuring him into the job and he will think the overall job is ridiculous.
the best way around anything ...be honest....tell them you don't want to do it.....the truth will set you free...ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #8

Are you a plumber, or a painter?
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #9

I bounced around all the trades in my life. I just like to get out of the house and talk with people. I really like figuring out what is really bothering people and trying to fix their problems with my tools. I got out of the trades 20 years ago because I burned out working to much. I am neither a painter nor a plumber. Their are parts of plumbing I know nothing about. The same with painting. I worked many years as a plumber, many years as a painter, roofer ect. Paintdrying is more my state of mind- just sitting here watching paint dry.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

If you're not licensed, there's a chance he'll take the easy way out and not even pay you for the work you do.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
the best way around anything ...be honest....tell them you don't want to do it.....the truth will set you free...ben sr
+1. Good call Ben.
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #12

I called him last night and told him I was not interested in doing the job. He said he would just do it himself instead. I live in Ohio. Licensed or not if he decides to not pay me on a small job my lawyer sends him a letter asking him to pay. That always seems to work. A local plumber tells me this no pay thing has become epidemic for him.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #13
Master Plumber

a job is a job and money is money man if they want it in the middle of the living room and want me to wear pasties and a G string and are willing to pay my quote its done, i never disagree with a customer unless its a code violation or not legal.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote