Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Best way to add supply lines?

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum. I am relatively new to plumbing work as well, especially when it comes to laying down new pipe, which is what I'd like to do.

I moved into a turn of the century house about a year ago. I noticed that there is no spigot to which I can connect a garden hose.

I bought a frost-proof sillcock and watched some videos online which show how to add one on. The only issue is that I don't have any water supply lines on that side of the house, so basically I have to add a lot of pipe.

If it helps you visualize, the left half of the house (if you're facing the front door) is where all the plumbing is, as it's the part of the house where the kitchens and baths are. The right half is where I need the spigot installed. Also the basement is dry and unfinished, so thankfully I can see the pipes.

What I was wondering was, where is the best place to cut into so I can add a new supply line to the side of the house? I would prefer to use PEX for this project.

Thank you all in advance!

HammerinScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #2

Need to know what type material the pipes you have now are?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerinScrews View Post
Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum. I am relatively new to plumbing work as well, especially when it comes to laying down new pipe, which is what I'd like to do.

I moved into a turn of the century house about a year ago. I noticed that there is no spigot to which I can connect a garden hose.

I bought a frost-proof sillcock and watched some videos online which show how to add one on. The only issue is that I don't have any water supply lines on that side of the house, so basically I have to add a lot of pipe.

If it helps you visualize, the left half of the house (if you're facing the front door) is where all the plumbing is, as it's the part of the house where the kitchens and baths are. The right half is where I need the spigot installed. Also the basement is dry and unfinished, so thankfully I can see the pipes.

What I was wondering was, where is the best place to cut into so I can add a new supply line to the side of the house? I would prefer to use PEX for this project.

Thank you all in advance!
yep install pex... tie in as close as possible and as straight as possible should not make that much difference...install a shut off...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Need to know what type material the pipes you have now are?
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the pipes are copper; although I will double-check to see if there's any others about.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #5

A simple fast way is to use a shark bite tee. One fitting will fit the copper and the pex, with no soldering.
I would never use the cheap gray plastic compression style fittings.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #6

i agree usu a shark bite t to tie into copper if you have a water softner or filter system you might want to tap into it before them. use a ball valve in between t and frost free hose bib where it is easy to get to if every needing to service the whole house does not need to be shut off .
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #7

Thank you all for your tips and help.

Jaydevries: when you say "frost free hose bib" are you referring to the frost proof sillcock, or another piece I have to install after the sillcock?

I live quite close to the Canadian/US border and see some extremely cold winters. I definitely want to do this job right and not have to deal with fixing burst pipes each year.

I do not have a whole house water filter or water softening system in place, so that is not a concern for me. As far as I understand, I should cut in as close as I can to where the water comes into the house, while minimizing any bends.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerinScrews View Post
As far as I understand, I should cut in as close as I can to where the water comes into the house, while minimizing any bends.
Leave your self a little room to work with, so no need to go a close a possible. PEX is pretty flexible. So between 6" to 1' from where it enters should be fine.

As for bends, do you know roughly how far it is in linear feet from the splice to the spigot? The reason I ask is because you'll want to buy a roll of pex rather than sticks. I know that the big box stores sell different lengths, but cannot remember if it's 25', 50' & 100'. Anyhoo, the idea is to have as few connections as possible.

Finally, using shark/gator bites. One thing to remember is to make sure when using them with copper to make sure that the stiffener is NOT used on copper pipe, but is used with pex. It looks something like this,

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VIPlumber For This Useful Post:
HammerinScrews (08-14-2012)

Tags
add pipe, sillcock, supply line