Best Type Of Bathtub? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Best type of bathtub?

I am remodeling my bathroom and it is in a single story home, but there is a basement below the main floor.

I have heard that Cast Iron is the best for tubs, but they are extremely heavy. Can these be used in my situation, or will the weight just be too much?

If cast iron is out, what is the next option? I have read about Americast, and that you should set them in mortar when you install them.

Advertisement

Vikeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Best type of bathtub?

The longest lasting and most durable and hard to damage tub is a cast iron tub - and they are very heavy to handle. Acrylic tubs can be had in many shapes and sizes and features, but can be scratched with improper cleaning materials or care - and are much lighter to install and need to be installed in a bed of morter to give them a solid feeling (not a big thing to do, pretty easy).

I recently renovated our hall bath and selected an acrylic tub primarily becuase we wanted a deep soaking tub and secondarily easier to install due to being much lighter in weight.

I have rental units, and when renovating there I would use standard cast iron tubs to ensure long life and eliminate damage issues.

Advertisement

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #3

Best type of bathtub?

I doubt the weight will be a problem if the floor joists are the proper size. You may also want to consider a steel tub. Not sure if American Standard solved all the problems they had with the Americast tubs. Most tubs will advise you on proper installation procedures and warranty requirements. Using a cast iron tub in a remodel can be a problem. make sure all the doors you need to go through to get to the room it will be installed in are large enough. Carrying a cast iron tub through a maze of doors can be real tricky and exhausting. The opening for the tub, if exactly the size of the tub, will cause installation problems also due to the weight and bulk of the tub.

Last edited by majakdragon; 12-20-2009 at 11:25 AM.
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #4

Best type of bathtub?

What where some of the problems with Americast? I was considering a new one. I put one in my last house but we moved within six months so I didn't see anything wrong in that short of a time.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #5

Best type of bathtub?

jerryh3, the problem was with the surface coating not being hard enough to avoid stains and chipping. I have sent you a PM with some complaints since they are located in another Plumbing Forum.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Best type of bathtub?

how much does Americast weigh compared to Cast Iron, also what is better Americast or Vikrell?

Advertisement

Vikeologist is offline   Reply With Quote