Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Best spot for an expansion tank

Good morning everyone,

I've spent the last couple of years fixing up a nice old house that needed a little TLC. It's been a lot of fun. I'd like a little advice on where to site my new expansion tank.

Currently our tankless water heater spits a bit of water out of its pressure release valve whenever a valve on a hot water supply line shuts quickly. (We put in a high efficiency washer that causes this especially frequently.)

We do not currently have an expansion tank anywhere, and after a bit of reading I think I should install one on our cold water supply.

Does it matter where on the cold water supply I install the expansion tank? I think that it does not. Should it be as close to the tankless water heater as possible, or closer to my water meter. (There are a couple of branches from the cold water supply before it reaches my water heater.)

russwilliston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

I've always seen them installed on the cold water side very near the water heater. That's where the hot water is expanding back into the cold line from.
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Not sure what make/model water heater you have, but I know in Rheem/Ruud's tankless water heater manual it states "if the relief valve on the system discharges periodically, a problem exists. Turn off the water heater, unplug the unit, and call for service"

There is no need for an expansion tank on a tankless water heater because there is no hot water being stored.

Your problem could however simply be a faulty relief valve. However, I'm going to guess that it's caused by water hammer within your pipes from the fact closing valve in the clothes washer. This can be corrected with water hammer arrestors. They are some arrestors made specifically to be installed in line on your washing machines hoses. follow the link for an example.
http://www.amazon.com/Water-Surge-Sh.../dp/B000H5MQNM

I'm also curious as to what pressure your water service is. I hope this helps.
moopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the advice!

I'll pick up a pressure gauge and check my pressure...I planned to do that anyway to see what size tank I need. I suspect my water pressure is pretty high.

My water heater is a Noritz 841-MC-DV (I see Noritz has changed their numbering, and it's now a NCC199-DV). The plumbers who installed my water heater were pretty thorough and have a good reputation in my town, so I don't doubt that they did the job properly.

I've heard a lot of anecdotes about the same problem though, where the fix was an expansion tank on cold water supply. I'll report back this weekend...
russwilliston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
Plumb or Die!

Rewards Points: 250

I'd say, "Baloney Moopy!" If you heat water, there's expansion, period. If there's any kind of check valve on the water main, you absolutely gotta have one. Especially with a tankless.
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to plumber666 For This Useful Post:
the_man (10-28-2010)