Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #1

Share |

Best pipe insulator

I have water supply pipes in exterior walls, and I am wondering what the best pipe insulators are that I can use to keep these pipes from freezing.

Thanks

troyce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #2

Best pipe insulator

The best protection against frozen/broken pipes is to not have them in the exterior wall. If moving them is impossible/impractical for some reason then I'd wrap them in foam pipe insulation that you can buy in 8' lengths at hardware stores.

The question I have is that if you're able to get to the pipes inside the walls to insulate them, you should be able to move them to the warm side of the sheetrock (in cabinets, etc), right?

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #3

Best pipe insulator

They are supply pipes that run the length of two floors.

We are doing a remodel, and the plumber put them there with the vent pipe, I guess to save from removing alot of drywall etc. There are other existing supply lines that I cannot get to which are also inside interior walls.

I never thought about it for some reason when they were putting them in but a neighbor asked why they did that. The building inspector passed them, so for them to move them, it may be problematic. I am still looking into my options. I figure 200-500 dollars to move them, I didn't know if insulating them would easily solve the problem.

I am in the Baltimore area and our temps aren't terrible. But I am just worried.
troyce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Best pipe insulator

Use the standard pipe wrap. the fibre type has a better insulation value than the rubber. But it is thicker and may not fit. If so, use spray foam aound the pipe. (only the cold side)
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #5

Best pipe insulator

It isn't against code to put them where they're at, but it is a bad idea and your plumber should know that. I'd suggest spending the money to move them. Or, at least, go with PEX tubing in the wall that will expand if it freezes and won't break like CPVC or copper will.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Best pipe insulator

no one would disagree with this. Outside walls are a no-no. but at times HO have limited funds and are looking at workarounds. Just trying the latter since you already gave the only complete answer to have it done correctly. I too would use pex.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote