Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #1

Share |

Best electrical tankless system for house

Any opinion on the most efficient electrical tankless hot water system to replace an old electric tank hot water heater? This is for Jacksonville, Florida. Will I need much in the way of upgrading the electrical panel also?
Thanks

chatroom3542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Do something

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatroom3542 View Post
Any opinion on the most efficient electrical tankless hot water system to replace an old electric tank hot water heater? This is for Jacksonville, Florida. Will I need much in the way of upgrading the electrical panel also?
Thanks
Electric tankless draw a huge amount of current. Go to Rinnai's website for information and talk to an experienced licened plumber and electrician before spending roughly $6000.00 (no kidding).

D'Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
Household Handyman

"D'Brie" is very close on cost for this S. Ga. area for electric tankless units. IMO--The first thing to check would be the maximum amp draw on a unit sized for your needs. Then check to see what the main breaker is in your service panel. This is about as far as people I have talked with have gotten. They find that some units will need anywhere from a 60 amp to an 80 amp breaker just for the water heater. Add this to all of the other breakers which could potentially be used--you have the picture. I am not trying to steer you towards gas, but most of the homeowners that I know, who have the tankless units went with gas--either Natural gs or LP gas. The homeowners I know who do have the tankless units really like them. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #4

I had electric tanklees made by Titan and they worked very well.Since I was rewireing my house anyway I put in a bigger service panel so I could run two small units together.One will raise the water temp by about 50 degrees two made it scalding snd I had to turn the power down on them.Once I had the electrical upgraded the draw and cost was not to bad and with an all electric house the discount the power company gave made it very woth it.The price for the units was reasonable and since I was doing an upgrade the hookup was factored in,pluming I did myself.As mentioned above most people go to gas because the find the must upgrade their electic system to accomadte the draw or the draw will dim and flicker lights and the bills will be high.We had to mover several months ago and do not have the tanks hooked up anymore but everyday I hear from my familly how much they miss all that instant hot water.If you dont have the electric system to handel it go with gas but if you do and have the space for the breakers ok but do your reseach first before spendung the money
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

I don't recommend installing tankless water heaters to anyone.

First question is how big is your house?

Second is Whats the incoming water temperature?

Those will get you started.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #6

A lot of houses at least on the Eastern side of Florida do not have access to natural gas and run everything off electric. The water temperatures vary from summer to winter, since summers are hot and winters are 60 in day and 30 -40 at night.
I'm looking for hot water at the least monthly price. If there is anything out there that is very efficient and electric??
Thanks
chatroom3542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
Licensed Master Plumber

There is no "best" electric tankless heater as far as efficiency goes. They are all 100% efficient. Some may hold together longer than others. Some may be made better, but they are all going to pretty much make your electric meter sound like a helicopter in mid flight.