DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bent soft copper pipe

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  sanec1 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Tonight I finished running 1/2" soft copper pipe through the floor of a 2nd floor bathroom remodel. I used soft pipe to get around the new shower drain. I used a spring-type pipe bender to bend the pipes 90 degrees to go up through the wall where the shower fixtures will be, and soldered my shut-off valves on.

One of the pipes (the hot) needed a slightly sharper angle where it went from running horizontal to vertical up through the wall. I bent it by hand. While I wouldn't exactly say it "kinked," (there are no sharp angles), it bent enough that it deformed the pipe slightly. Instead of being round, the pipe is now more of an oval shape where the bend is. I turned the water back on and all the joints/valves held without leaks.

My question is, will the pipe that's slightly deformed pose a problem in the future? Will it weaken over time, and eventually rupture, or is it one of those things where if it's okay now, there shouldn't be a problem?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.