Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #1

Share |
Bent soft copper pipe

Hi all,

Tonight I finished running 1/2" soft copper pipe through the floor of a 2nd floor bathroom remodel. I used soft pipe to get around the new shower drain. I used a spring-type pipe bender to bend the pipes 90 degrees to go up through the wall where the shower fixtures will be, and soldered my shut-off valves on.

One of the pipes (the hot) needed a slightly sharper angle where it went from running horizontal to vertical up through the wall. I bent it by hand. While I wouldn't exactly say it "kinked," (there are no sharp angles), it bent enough that it deformed the pipe slightly. Instead of being round, the pipe is now more of an oval shape where the bend is. I turned the water back on and all the joints/valves held without leaks.

My question is, will the pipe that's slightly deformed pose a problem in the future? Will it weaken over time, and eventually rupture, or is it one of those things where if it's okay now, there shouldn't be a problem?

Thanks!

slkarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Master Plumber

Bent soft copper pipe

I personally never took a chance if my guys kinked a line when we roughed in a home, if it kinked I had them start the loop again with a clean piece. That being said in 35 years I have never repaired a leaking copper pipe that leaked at a kink..

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #3

Bent soft copper pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkarns View Post
Hi all,

Tonight I finished running 1/2" soft copper pipe through the floor of a 2nd floor bathroom remodel. I used soft pipe to get around the new shower drain. I used a spring-type pipe bender to bend the pipes 90 degrees to go up through the wall where the shower fixtures will be, and soldered my shut-off valves on.

One of the pipes (the hot) needed a slightly sharper angle where it went from running horizontal to vertical up through the wall. I bent it by hand. While I wouldn't exactly say it "kinked," (there are no sharp angles), it bent enough that it deformed the pipe slightly. Instead of being round, the pipe is now more of an oval shape where the bend is. I turned the water back on and all the joints/valves held without leaks.

My question is, will the pipe that's slightly deformed pose a problem in the future? Will it weaken over time, and eventually rupture, or is it one of those things where if it's okay now, there shouldn't be a problem?

Thanks!
It should be ok.....is the pressure ok through it...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #4

Bent soft copper pipe

Doesn't sound kinked, just ovalled (on your way to a kink). No worries except don't mishandle it now and make it worse.
sanec1 is offline   Reply With Quote