Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
We pick these?

Share |

Belly in main sewer line

I've recently discovered a belly in my main sewer line a little over 100' from the house. It's a 40' section... UNDER THE STREET! So, I got an estimate to excavate and repair, etc... which was around $15k. That's not happening, especially since I'm running over budget on the other $40k project(s) I have going on here. The plumbing/drain company recommended that we just do preventive jetting periodically and when it backs up. They charge $600 for 2hrs of jetting/camera, etc... When the drain backs up, it clears itself after a short time, apparently just by built up pressure behind the blockage.

I'm looking at purchasing a sewer nozzle and pressure washer set-up. I've also looked at blow-bags, power augers, pumps, etc... I want to have something I can do myself periodically to keep the thing clear and "perhaps" save some money in the long-run. Any ideas?

BTW, on the camera the belly contained only clear water and bits of floating matter, not sludge as you might expect...
NailedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #2

Belly in main sewer line

I'm not sure about responsibilities where you are, but if a sewer service experiences a problem like that and it's out in the middle of the street (and on the muni side of the inspection chamber), it's the municipality's responsibility to fix it.
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #3

Belly in main sewer line

I agree that it should be a governmental agencies problem. You can rent equipment to clear the drain line. probably only be needed once a year. I usede to have a customer with a tree root problem and he had me auger it every year. While the camera only showed clear water at the time, sludge could build up over time, depending on what you send to the sewer. If I were in your situation, I would consider installing a clean-out closer to the belly to avoid needing all that cable to reach the problem area.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
We pick these?

Belly in main sewer line

I haven't researched it fully, but the drain service company/ camera tech advised me that we were responsible in this case. We're in a 40 year old subdivision with the city sewer line on the far side of the street from us. We're in Indianapolis, just as far north as you can be inside city limits. The cleanout is about 20 feet from the belly, which begins just short of the street all the way to the other side. The tie-in was made about 15 years ago immediately prior to my In-laws purchasing the home to satisfy VA financing. Apparently they'd been having problems with backups for years which were mis-diagnosed and overlooked.
NailedIt is offline   Reply With Quote