Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #1

Share |

Bathtub Surround

We recently had a new bathroom built and we planned to install a bathtub sorround. Greenboard was installed. When we measure the distance between the end walls it is only 59 1/2 inches and out of square. Most surrounds are 60 inches. We tried to install a three piece 60 inch surround but it would not fit. Can we use a five piece surround and allow for the 1/2 inch difference? The only other alternative is to remove the greenboard, install backerboard, and tile.

Last edited by dion; 07-01-2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: clarification
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
Knows everything but that

Bathtub Surround

Quote:
Originally Posted by dion View Post
We recently had a new bathroom built and we planned to install a bathtub sorround. Greenboard was installed. When we measure the distance between the end walls it is only 59 1/2 inches and out of square. Most surrounds are 60 inches. We tried to install a three piece 60 inch surround but it would not fit. Can we use a five piece surround and allow for the 1/2 inch difference? The only other alternative is to remove the greenboard, install backerboard, and tile.
Is the greenboard installed behind the surround?

JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #3

Bathtub Surround

Thanks for the quick response.
Yes, all the walls in the bathroom is 1/2 inch greenboard. If we have to tile we must remove the greenboard to where the tile will end and build out the backerboard to match the rest of the wall surface. It will be alot of work unless we can get a five piece surround to fit.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #4

Bathtub Surround

What I mean to ask is if they greenboard extends down behind the old surround. If so, you should be able to remove this and gain the 1/2 inch you are looking for it use the 3 piece surround. Most surrounds that Ive seen do not have backerboard or any wall behind the actual surround.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Bathtub Surround

Normally the tub suround attaches directly to the studs...and wallboard is installed after the tub surround. You actually have to install the wallboard after to cover up the nailing flange going around the top and sides.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #6

Bathtub Surround

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
Normally the tub suround attaches directly to the studs...and wallboard is installed after the tub surround. You actually have to install the wallboard after to cover up the nailing flange going around the top and sides.
This is what I was trying to say. Maybe I wasnt clear enough.

Shane
Old 07-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #7

Bathtub Surround

The only direct to stud surrounds I have been able to find are the ones that match a particular tub complete with tabs that fit into the tub. If your 3 piece surround is the type that glues on over wall board then you do have an issue and the 5-panel would be a better solution. I have a similar issue and ruled out the 3 panel for similar reasons.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #8

Bathtub Surround

Hello,
I am new to construction & learning so my contractor does it right. Also because I am very sensitive to chemicals (& mold) & need to sample all the materials prior to installation. I've picked out a fiberglass tub & one piece surround. From this thread I gather that there isn't any special wall assembly I need behind a surround. I kinda want to go with mega overkill though. What type of wall assembly should I do? And how about the floor under the tub? Thanks a bunch.
Laura J.
Laura J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:25 AM   #9

Bathtub Surround

Thanks for your help on the bathtub surround. We found a five piece unit made by MUSTEE that solved our problem of an opening of 59 1/2 inches. It is 85 mils thick and was easy to install.