Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Bathtub spout pipe ~ a watery mess

Hi, all. I am trying to install a new bathtub diverter spout onto a galvanized steel pipe. I cleaned the threads on the pipe with a wire brush to get the muck out, but I can't screw on the spout. It won't "catch" or latch on.

I recently put ceramic tile on that wall and around the pipes so there is about a quarter to half inch of exposed pipe to work with. Is this enough to get the spout to latch on? (It doesn't seem to be.) Is there some kind of pipe extender I can put on to extend the length of the pipe a bit?

This is an older bathtub, so it doesn't have a proper shower head pipe installed (thus the annoyingly hard to install and leak-prone diverter spout).

Oh, the joys (and frustrations) of an older house. Thank you in advance for any and all help, DIY whizzes and pros!

alacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #2

Bathtub spout pipe ~ a watery mess

The problem looks like the end of the pipe as-is is too short for the spout to grab on to but if you could get an extender then it would be too long.

You can get a copper female screw on coupling (for the pipe end) and a copper male screw on coupling (for the spout) and a short length of copper pipe to connect the two by soldering. You may be able to find a different brand of spout where the screw on connection is further inside leaving room for this makeshift coupling.

I can imagine but have not seen a collar or "soffit" to fit between the spout and the wall if the pipe coupling inside is too long.

The alternative to a diverter spout is a valve with a knob or lever a little higher up on the wall.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-27-2010 at 12:32 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
alacea (11-27-2010)

Tags
bathtub, spout question