Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
SMI

Share |

Bathtub to Shower plumbing

I have demo'd an existing bathroom and removed the awful bathtub. I've encountered several hidden problems behind the walls (like electrical cords running lose through drywall), but the biggest question is: what do I do with the overflow pipe now that it will be a shower?? Can I sodder a cap to the end of the copper pipe below the handle mechanism or do I need to replace it all? Secondly, my home has old fashioned polybutelene flex piping for the water supply. PEX is the recommended new product - should I go ahead and replace the existing piping with the new stuff while I'm in here? The plumber that I spoke to suggested adding PEX to the PolyB and then connecting the PEX to the copper. Seems like too many joints that could go wrong in the future. How would you handle this tricky situation?? Help appreciated.

SMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
DIY staff

SMI--A shower requires a 2" drain--Usually centered--While the hole is open change any of the old piping that you can.

Any failure later of may mean the destruction of your nice new shower.You will be glad that you did.

If PEX is code in your area ,I believe it to be a fine product--consider using it.--Mike--

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
SMI

Thanks oh'Mike for the advice. I have already replaced the drain pipes with 2" PVC and centered the drain in the floor. My concern is the water pipes connection and what to do about the downspout (tub) water pipe when I convert it to shower only. Is soddering the copper pipe closed acceptable? Anyone out there have any more suggestions?
Old 03-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

I believe the OP is talking about the tub fill leg of the tub/shower valve that apparently he is reusing. Soldering a cap on to is fine,or if it is screwed into the valve you can remover that leg and install a brass plug.

That being said, if you are installing a new shower I would upgrade to a new shower valve and change from the PB to PEX. No since in a year from now having a problem with an old valve and tearing up a new shower.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
SMI

That is exactly what I was considering doing. However, the PB is running through my whole house from the main water line to the bathroom. A plumber was going to "add" a piece of PEX to the end of PB in order to attach it to the copper. No way -too many joints!Would you run all new line from start (ex. water heater) to bath instead of splicing the two at the bathroom?
Old 03-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
DIY staff

Sorry,I never heard of someone tiling in an old mixer valve,I just thought you were talking about the tub drain.

Good luck with that.

If the option exists to make a 'home run' with pex all the way from your old mixer valve back to the basement you will have great pressure and know that run will last .

Last edited by oh'mike; 03-02-2010 at 04:21 PM.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMI View Post
That is exactly what I was considering doing. However, the PB is running through my whole house from the main water line to the bathroom. A plumber was going to "add" a piece of PEX to the end of PB in order to attach it to the copper. No way -too many joints!Would you run all new line from start (ex. water heater) to bath instead of splicing the two at the bathroom?
Yes I would re-plumb the who thing with PEX if that option fits your budget. I do not see what the plumber means by connecting the PB to PEX to copper. There are fittings to connect PEX directly to the shower valve. But if he was planning on reusing the old valve and connecting to a short copper stub, I do not see that as a problem.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
SMI

The plumber stated that I could not connect the old PB to a new mixer valve. I would have to splice PEX to the old PB and then attach the new PEX to the new mixer valve. That's alot of joints. This is why we were considering using the existing old mixer valve because the fittings are solid and the copper plug would be the only repairing necessary.
Can we attach old PB to a new valve or not? Any bathroom remodelers out there with some ideas of the "best" way to do this for lasting results. Don't want leaks in the future!!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

My opinion is to replace the shower valve and to run the PEX back as far as your budget allows. There are fittings that will allow PEX to PB connections that are better than any of the old PB fittings.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
SMI (03-04-2010)
Old 03-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
SMI

Took all your advice and purchased the new valve for the shower, PB to PEX fittings and PEX line for the shower water line. If all goes well should be ready to tile by Sunday. Thanks again for everyone's reassurance and guidance. 1 down and 2 more bathrooms to go.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:29 AM   #11
A "Handy Husband"

One caveat; don't run PEX from the shower valve up to the shower head. Use copper there. PEX can restrict the flow.