Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Bathtub Recommendations - Cast Iron or other?

So I'm remodeling my bathroom that currently has a standard cast iron tub. My wife wants something she can soak in so I'm considering either the deepest cast iron available, which doesn't seem to be too deep, or a tub that is acrylic/fiberglass/cast.

Can you share some recommendations if I should just go with the cast iron tub, or if one of those other material tubs are ideal? I know cast iron is heavy duty and the finish is the best to resist scratching, but they are heavy, and aren't typically as deep as others. I also have seen acrylic/fiberglass type tubs that are squeaky, noisy, and feel cheap and scratch easily. Although my brother installed some type of acrylic/fiberglass tub and he seems happy with it.

Anyone recommend a solid tub they are happy with? I can fit either a 60"X30" or a 60" X 32" as the widest, and for depth I'm hoping to get something decently deep so my wife can take a nice bath, but not too deep where she'll break her back bathing the kids.

Should I stick with cast iron? Go for something else? I'm open to all suggestions!

HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #2

A relative has the Kohler Bancroft Acrylic and says he is happy with it so far. Says the finish has been durable, and that he installed the tub into mortar so it feels nice and solid. He doesn't like that the tub is deep since its hard for his wife to wash the baby.

Anyone think Acrylic is worth using over cast iron? Or should I just go cast iron if I plan to keep it a long while?

Old 10-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 38

there are alot of decent fiberglass units out there to day ...as for my company its been years since we instaled cast iron tubs....many customers want the new style deeper units ...most have 10 yr warranty and the styles are endless.....I like fiberglass over cast....but thats just me...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 132

Each has advantages. Cast Iron will last longer.....but, the stuff around it usually does not last as long.

Fiberglass is much 'warmer'. Iron tubs are cold until the water warms them up.

Personally....if your doing a free standing old style....yea, cast iron. But with the frequency that we all tend to remodel bathrooms.....I would go fiberglass...warmer, quieter and a lot more options.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #5

Sounds like the fiberglass type tubs have come a long way, and you guys seem to favor them slightly.

I went to Home Depot and I was not impressed with the selection at all. I'll probably look on Kohler's site and then find a local plumbing supply house to purchase from.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyFrank View Post
Sounds like the fiberglass type tubs have come a long way, and you guys seem to favor them slightly.

I went to Home Depot and I was not impressed with the selection at all. I'll probably look on Kohler's site and then find a local plumbing supply house to purchase from.
You can only tell so much from the intenet....see if you can find a showroom to go visit.....and like you said, the choices at HD are not impressive....a majority of what they carry is for the cheap crowd....typically someone fixing up a rental.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote