Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathtub plumbing

We're connecting an existing bathtub to all new pipes and I've got everything run up to the tub but am having problems connecting everything.

You can see photos at http://www.brianandheather.info/house/bathroom.html

The main problems I have are:
1) the supply lines I bought won't fit the compression shut-offs I got and I can't find compression shut offs that will fit, but I'd like to use them.
2) I'm not sure how to connect the drain so that I can avoid putting in an access panel if possible.
3) and (although I will probably be able to figure this out online) what do I use to secure the faucet to the tub??

Thanks!!

flashpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #2

Bathtub plumbing

I went to a plumbing supply store and showed them the pics, and they sold me the PVC adapter for the drain (yay! no access panel) and told me to bring the rest of the faucet and supply lines in and they can outfit me so everything will fit...WHEW!!

Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #3

Bathtub plumbing

The only time an access panel is needed is if there are "slip joint" connections. These are the ones with the loose ring and the tapered or rubber gasket that seals the joint.

Now that I have looked at the picture you supplied, it appears that this is a set up for a free standing tub that is plumbed through the floor, not mounted in a wall as is normal. Is this the case?
If so, this is a tricky install for an inexperienced DIY'er.

Also, make sure the end of the spout is at least one inch above the rim of the tub to avoid a possible "cross connection" between potable water and the waste water system.

Last edited by InspectorD; 07-24-2008 at 08:47 AM. Reason: new info
InspectorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #4

Bathtub plumbing

Yes, that is correct. I wasn't sure how to connect the PVC other than using a Fernco under the floor (which I thought was going to require an access panel in the floor). The plumbing supply place gave me a PVC adapter that glues to the 1 1/2" drain and has a fitting that tightens to the metal tube from the tub.

Now my only problem is connecting the faucet to the tub and connecting the supply lines...

EDIT:
Several people have told me that the faucet below the tub lip is a problem, but that's the way the tub was connected before, so I'm wondering if it's "grandfathered" in? We live way out in the country, and are on a well. The town inspector told me we didn't need an inspection/permit unless we're doing electric...

Last edited by flashpipe; 07-24-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #5

Bathtub plumbing

flashpipe,

The issue with the spout/tub rim is a possible cross connection. This is a health issue regardless of what is "code". (it IS against most codes) True, the conditions that would create a cross connection are rare and would be very unlikely to occur.

I'm a full time home inspector and am sensitive to this stuff. You are probably OK with hooking it up the way it was for the last 100 years.

BTW, an access panel is not a bad thing. They make them now so that they fit flush and can be painted. Never hurts to have access to plumbing connections in case of a problem.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #6

Bathtub plumbing

Cool...thanks. Any ideas on how to secure the faucet to the tub? I tried getting an extender nut to put on the adapters I got, but it still doesn't have enough thread space to fit a nut (to secure the faucet with a washer) AND the supply lines...

I may be in the market for a new faucet anyway...

Thanks!!

EDIT:
Is there any way to get some sort of freestanding mount for this faucet?? Any idea where I could look?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #7

Bathtub plumbing

flashpipe,
Without actually seeing the setup, it's pretty hard to give an answer. I think you said this was an existing tub? Did the valves come through the tub in the first place? When I have done this type of hook-up, I usually close the existing holes in the tub with chrome covers (called "cock hole covers") and the tub valve was mounted off a bracket to the wall or floor that was made to work with that setup. Check with the supplier of the valve to see what they have for this. Obviously, they can't just hang off the soft copper supply lines that were supplied (in the picture) coming out of the floor.
Possibly the tub manufacturer has a solution as well.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #8

Bathtub plumbing

Thanks for the help on this...you can see some other pics of the tub at:
http://www.brianandheather.info/house/bath.html

It was an existing tub, and the old faucet came through the side.

I'll check with the faucet manufacturer too...thanks!!

Edit:
On LOTS of clawfoot tub sites I visit, I see the faucet setup I have going through the side of the tub. Why would they show this all over if it's a code violation??

Last edited by flashpipe; 07-24-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #9

Bathtub plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashpipe View Post
Thanks for the help on this...you can see some other pics of the tub at:
http://www.brianandheather.info/house/bath.html

It was an existing tub, and the old faucet came through the side.

I'll check with the faucet manufacturer too...thanks!!

Edit:
On LOTS of clawfoot tub sites I visit, I see the faucet setup I have going through the side of the tub. Why would they show this all over if it's a code violation??
The codes vary all over the country. There is not ONE code that all follow. Many are gradually moving to adopt the IRC (International Residential Code) but things move slowly in this venue.

What I have seen is a set of extenders that bring the whole valve assembly up above the tub while maintaining the same mounting point through the tub that the old valve had. That is most likely the easiest solution for you.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #10

Bathtub plumbing

Excellent!! Thanks for all the help and clarification!!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #11

Bathtub plumbing

my shower head keeps running when the facuet is running
bobbyjohn2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #12

Bathtub plumbing

A little more info is needed to diagnose this problem. How many handles?
How do you turn on the shower?
If three handle valve, you need to repair the center diverter portion. It needs new washers and possibly a new stem.
If it's a pull-up knob on the spout, replace the spout or take the old one off and soak it in vinegar for a day to dissolve the mineral buildup.
Good Luck