Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Bathtub levelling

I had a "professional" come to instal my acrylic bathtub. He found the floor to be about an inch out in level from one end of the tub to the other. He indicated he could level it with a pad of concrete which he did however he didn't do anything to support the front of the tub which is now one inch off the floor at the one end. The apron is very thin and I can't see how I can put something under the apron to support it, that would just be flimsy. So it seems I should have a wood support under the whole section to support it however how do I do that now that its firmly installed, thinking I have to open some walls from the other sides and somehow work it out that way ( alot of work, worried that I still wont be able to reach it as I can only open the back and drain walls the other wall is concrete block). Or am I underestimating the strength of the tub and it can withstand years of stepping over and sitting on with no support, in that case I would just silicone a bit of trim on and leave it.
Any help is appreciated. Susan

Susan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #2

Bathtub levelling

I know its uncomfortable calling the guy back, but that's what I'd do. That just doesn't sound right. 1 inch is a huge gap. If you have to, get another professional for a second opinion, but I wouldn't live with it.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
liscenced electrician

Bathtub levelling

lets see a picture
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmy21 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-15-2010)
Old 09-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #4

Bathtub levelling

A visible gap under the apron is unacceptable. Is the tub bottom at least well supported? There should no movement in the bottom once it is installed. Otherwise you risk cracking the bottom over time. Did he use concrete? Because thinset mortar is typically used to support the bottom. But I don't think it is common practice to use the thinset to level a one inch variance.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #5

Bathtub levelling

Someone asked for pictures and someone asked how well is the concrete support under it, so I took my camera in hand and stuck it down between the studs and took a few pictures to see exactly what was under there. I also went back to Home depo and opened a box to see how it was built. I will try to download the pictures later but the sump of the tub is supported on a board which is attached to the apron on one side and a long leg down the other. The plumber supported the long leg fairly well in concrete so I am satisfied with that side. However the other was totally unsupported. With this new information I took out a stud and a bit of wall which allowed me to put a couple of 2X3's under the apron side to support it. Luckily there was a 2 X 2 attached to the concrete block wall at the back end to wedge the support beams into and I put a little block at the entry end to keep it in place there. Then it was a simple matter of a few well placed shims to make it nice and tight. I picked up a nice peice of plastic trim which I will attach to the front of the tub, once I have my flooor in, to cover the gap, voila nice level tub.

As well I took out the screws the plumber put into the flanged edge of the tub and replaced them with mirror clips. I did this because when I went to the American Standard website they showed that you shouldn't drill through the tub as small movements from settling will eventually cause damage to the tub. Instead a roofing nail with its large head just above the edge of the tub will hold it in place with no damage or rust. ( Roofing nails only came in big boxes so I looked for an alternative and came up with mirror clips ( stainless steel ones to avoid rust ).

Thanks to those that responded....I will try to upload some pics on the weekend for future reference..... on to finishing the floor next.
Susan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #6

Bathtub levelling

When the tub is installed it is supposed to have a mortar base or similar material under the entire tub and the tub should be filled with water and a person to get the correct setting of the base and it should be level with no gaps. Weight of person +weight of water = secure tub.

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote