Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bathtub leaking... seat housing cracked?

Hi,

the hotwater side of my bathtub in my old house (> 50 years old) is leaking (not able to turn off water), so I opened it up and found a long threaded nipple like thing on which my stem is held by a retaining screw. I removed the retaining screw/packing nut and removed the stem. The stem washer is broken, but replacing it did not help. I was able to turn on and off the hot water, but it is still leaking. After removing the seat (which had a hexagonal hole in it), I noticed that the peripherals of the housing that holds the seat is also chipped. This is the part that is near to the nipple like structure, away from the seat.

I have no idea how to replace the seat housing. Does this mean that it is time to call the plumber and get the entire thing replaced?

One other thing to try and understand the mechanism. Supposedly the water should be stopped at the seat when the stem washer presses against the seat. Is that correct? Is water getting around through the chip areas and thus causing the leaking?

Actually, the tub is due for a remodeling, but unfortunately, I don't have time now and I have guests coming soon.

Thanks for any insights.

Last edited by olnoln; 05-18-2010 at 04:36 PM.
olnoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #2

sounds like its time to replace the valve

plumber steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,036

Can you see (perhaps using a flashlight) the circular rim inside the faucet or valve assembly where the washer screws down onto? Provided that this rim protrudes so that a penny or a dime or a smaller flat disk will fit all the way into the faucet and press against this rim, you can get a tool called a faucet seat grinder that can be used to smooth over grooves or chips in this rim. Then the washer will seal better.

So far we cannot guarantee that this was the one and only cause of the faucet's dripping.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #4

Sorry, I have not been very clear in my description.

The nipple like structure is the thing that protrudes from the wall and I can't see the inside of the wall much. It is threaded both inside and outside. The stem is held by a retaining ring/packing nut that screws into the inside of the nipple. The diameter of the inside is probably 1", as the stem that I replaced is slightly less than 1". The stem is a A.S., number 2 height (ie., the 2nd shortest stems that I saw at the hardware store). The washer is thick and fat and part of the stem, and since I have a spare one at home, I replaced that. But the leak continues.

With the retaining nut, stem and washers out, I can see the hexagonal hole where the seat is. Taking that out was easy, and I'm not really sure if there is anything bad about it. The seat is just a small ring. However, the circular disc (which I called housing, not sure what is the correct term) that holds the seat, this thing is connected (screwed/fixed?) to the middle of the inside of the nipple structure. Looking directly inside with a flashlight, I can see two cracked holes in this disc, at the edges, furthest away from the center where the seat is, at around 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock locations. My suspicion is that water is leaking through these cracked holes.

Since I am hard pressed for time as my guests are coming soon, I really can't afford to do a remodel now, and I suspect that replacing the valve might involve tearing down the wall, which means a remodel. There is no other access to the inside, as the other wall is the fireplace!

Is there a way to temporarily fix or reduce the leak and then get on with replacing the entire valve/remodel after my guests leave? If so, how can I do it? Even if I could just reduce the leak, that is still acceptable, since this is a temporary situation of no more than 2 months.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,036

(copied from another forum)
Turn the faucet (stem) to the full on (maximum open) position before screwing in nipples or bushings or other parts in the faucet.

Otherwise it is easy to forget and then you try to screw it in and the first thing to make contact is the faucet washer against the seat and it hangs up and possibly breaks something when you screw it tigheter.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #6

Replace the seat, stems, and trim. Good to go. ALso, may wanna check your water pressure to make sure it is not to high. Replacing the valve could range from 800 to 1200 dollars.
MR. Mr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #7

thanks for the suggestions. I tried them and it is still leaking, probably due to the cracks in the seat housing/disc. Sigh!

For the time being, I'm just resorting to the shutoff valve to turn it off completely, until my guests leave and then I can have the wall torn down and have a remodel of the bath. Time to start shopping for a new assembly. Any recommendations?

Last edited by olnoln; 05-21-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER

Rewards Points: 75

YES A SINGLE HANDLE PRESSURE BALANCED VALVE IS NOW REQUIRED BY CODE !
MACPLUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MACPLUMB For This Useful Post:
MR. Mr. (05-20-2010)
Old 05-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

how about just replacing the seat with a new one,or grinding the existing seat?
depending on your location anti scald faucet may or may not berequired for replacement
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:02 AM   #10

I thought I will just add a simple picture to illustrate what it looked like. The outer two circle are the outside and inside of the nipple into the wall. The circle in the center is the seat. The two cracks are at 3 o'clock and 5-6 o'clock.

I'm not sure replacing the seat will do anything to help in the leak due to the presence of the cracks.

The city code here doesn't say that it needs pressure balanced valve, although it did say that it must provide at most 120F (set at the valve, not at the water heater)... not sure how that is done.

I went to Home Depot and Lowes, and there are almost no pressure balanced valves. I personally prefer two handles, and the selection is so few!
Attached Thumbnails
bathtub leaking... seat housing cracked?-.jpg  
Old 05-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by olnoln View Post
I thought I will just add a simple picture to illustrate what it looked like. The outer two circle are the outside and inside of the nipple into the wall. The circle in the center is the seat. The two cracks are at 3 o'clock and 5-6 o'clock.

I'm not sure replacing the seat will do anything to help in the leak due to the presence of the cracks.

The city code here doesn't say that it needs pressure balanced valve, although it did say that it must provide at most 120F (set at the valve, not at the water heater)... not sure how that is done.

I went to Home Depot and Lowes, and there are almost no pressure balanced valves. I personally prefer two handles, and the selection is so few!
Is that the end of the stem that goes against the seat? The rubber washer/seal fits inside this thin walled cupshape and is held in place with a screw, right?

I am a little dense and having trouble determining what you are calling 'housing'. Is this housing at inside at the back of the 'threade nibble', or is it at the end of the stem? Looks like the latter.

Being an older setup. it may be difficult to replace with the original. I wonder if, for a temp fix, you might could get a bag of mixed rubber washers and place a thicker one on the stem with maybe a longer screw. The longer screw may or may not be necessary.
Just a jack leg thought for a temp fix.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #12

Hi,

sorry, the circle in the center is the seat (didn't draw out the full width of it). The housing (no idea what is the correct name) is the flat circular disc with the cracks at the side. This is the thing the seat screws onto. The "housing" is in the middle of the nipple (valve?), so it is around the same distance as the wall from the tip where the faucet handle goes.

Actually, I found a picture online that shows what stem looks like:

http://www.fdsons.com/2k2c-american-...b-p-23169.html

There is no screw visible from the outside to hold the washer (probably inside the thick washer at the tip of the stem.
Actually, I have tried sticking a regular garden washer into there but to no avail (I have to cut it a little bit since it is a bit bigger).
The Following User Says Thank You to olnoln For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB (05-21-2010)
Old 05-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER

Rewards Points: 75
Talking

THAT IS A AM/STD AQUA SEAL AND IT ONLY TAKES

OEM PARTS ! !

FROM FOLLOWING YOUR POSTINGS YOU ARE GOING TO

HAVE TO GET BY AS YOU ARE UNTIL IT IS TIME TO

CHANGE OUT THE COMPLETE VALVE IN THE WALL

NOTE; YOU DO NOT HAVE TO OPEN THE WALL

COMPLETELY UP SEE THE FOLLOWING LINK

http://www.homefixitparts.com/showpa...model%20Plates

THIS IS JUST A EXAMPLE OF WHAT I AM TALKING

ABOUT, YOU CAN TRY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA !

THEY ARE CALLED REMODEL OR REPAIR PLATES !

MACPLUMB is offline   Reply With Quote