Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #1

Share |

Bathtub install help!

Hello DIY'ers and Pro's

I'm pulling out my hair trying to answer an issue I have installing my new bath tub, in a home built in 1918 (so in other words, nothing level, nothing true, but things are on 16" center....kinda)

So here it is

I have remodeled my upstairs, and the bathroom is getting a new Acri-tec acrylic bathtub (Elegance Plus soaker tub) This tub comes with 4 adjustable legs, and is being installed in an alcove (so the tub is skirted) Now Acri-tec's installation instructions are so vag, I've wasted a couple hours looking online for an answer to my question......with no luck (so here I am)

My issue is that the floor has a close to a 1" dip and is causing the leg pads to not sit flush with the floor, and I am worried about improper load on the legs may cause damage to the tub base, or cause the tub to squeek!

I thought I would just use floor leveling compound (level the floor) then install the tub?

I do need to level the rest of the floor anyway cause I am going to be laying Schluter Ditra and tile for the finished floor.

So what do you guys / gals suggest I do? will leveling compound stand up to the use of a tub? Or should I look at a different way of doing things?

I have read alot on mortar beds, but is that not taking away from the idea of the legs? and if I eliminated the legs, the mortar bed would need to be almost 3" plus thick"

Any help and idea's are welcome

Thank you
Hermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
DIY staff

Bathtub install help!

Steel shims are typically used under the feet ----I'm not familiar with that brand--However the leveling should be able to be done with shimming.

Here is an ongoing thread on installing a tub--a few things there may be useful-----------------------Any Last Minute Tips On Installing A Bathtub? - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

If you post a picture of the floor and the bottom of the tub I'll see if I can help--Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #3

Bathtub install help!

Thanks Oh'Mike

I can't seem to be able to upload my pictures

I did not mension that the legs are adjustable.

The instructions basicaly state
  1. Ensure the floor is firm, squeak free and level
  2. Set tub in place, confirm the tub is level
  3. Pre-drill tiling flange at each stud and use coated screws, ensuring no weight is being carried by the tile flange (so no 1x4 or 2x4 ledger is needed)
That is basicaly all it says for install
So back to my question, I woundered if the floor leveling compound would be fine, place and level tub with the legs, screw tile flange and done? Or is there a better way?

This tub just seems so different then anything I have read about, so I was hoping others have used this type of set up.
Hermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
DIY staff

Bathtub install help!

Sorry --sounds like the same idiot technical writer that wrote the instructions for a shower door i put in this morning!
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #5

Bathtub install help!

From everything I've read about Acryllic tubs, after you've leveled it with shims like Mike said, you want to use a thin-set morter bed, or sand or something to make sure there is no movement in the bottom of your tub.

I had a guy from Lowes give me a glowing reference for one of their best-selling, acryllic tubs. I was all set to buy until I read several pages of reviews from customers all saying the same things. "Tub floor cracked", "tub leaks", "seam split", "this tub is junk". And I'm guessing it is not entirely the tub's fault. Some were probably not level with free movement in the bottom.

I decided that such a tub would not hold up in our household so instead bought a Kohler cast iron at the suggestion of Mike and others here. My son and I picked it up last Sat. at Home Depot. Yes, the two of us can handle it. As we were wheeling it to the checkout a guy said "Cast Iron, Nice!

I will be glad to get it out of my garage and into the alcove. But for now, still working on the new vent and larger waste pipes. I've just got too much else pulling at my time lately.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim F For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-25-2010)
Old 03-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #6

Bathtub install help!

As oh'mike said, use shims to level, then mortor bed. I've installed two of these in my home this way, no problems. One other idea that I've recently seen/heard that is an easier alternative to the mortor bed is to use "Great Foam" or similar as the bedding. I'm not saying I recommend it, but I've now seen two plumbers use this method for two reasons, very light weight so no worries on floor load, and ease of installing; just spray and let it set up. And on a recent episode of "Holmes on Homes," they used foam to set the tub. Again, I don't know if this is acceptable, but it appears to be a method catching steam. Good Luck.
cm3putter is offline   Reply With Quote