Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #1

Share |

bathtub install, diy or pro?

I will be closing on my first house this wednesday. I am looking to redo the bathroom first. I am handy myself as my background is auto mechanic. I have no problem changing a toilet and vanity. Also electrical isn't a problem. But the tub that is currently there, is pink and old. I was thinking about glazing but I just decided to install a new one for the price compared to glazing and new tubs. The tubs surround is 4 x 4 tiles. Will I be able to replace the tub without having to do any tile work? Is a tub install meant to be more of a pro's job then a diy?

Last edited by fabian; 01-11-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spell error
fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #2

I have limited handyman ability and experience. I've tackled a complete remodel of our bathroom including plumbing moves and expanding the bathroom into our bedroom closet. The tub is completely installed except the final plumbing hook-ups. If a guy with my abilities can handle it you certainly can. Take your time and think it through before you start each part of the tub change out. You my not have to take out the tile but you might want to given the other work your putting in the bathroom.

The best advice I can give you is submit threads to this site whenever you are unsure of something. Everyone on here is helpful and they'll guide you through anything you need to know.

Good Luck!!!!

MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
I have limited handyman ability and experience. I've tackled a complete remodel of our bathroom including plumbing moves and expanding the bathroom into our bedroom closet. The tub is completely installed except the final plumbing hook-ups. If a guy with my abilities can handle it you certainly can. Take your time and think it through before you start each part of the tub change out. You my not have to take out the tile but you might want to given the other work your putting in the bathroom.

The best advice I can give you is submit threads to this site whenever you are unsure of something. Everyone on here is helpful and they'll guide you through anything you need to know.

Good Luck!!!!
thanks mikey for the reply. the great part is that i will have 2 weeks to work on this. the first week with less time as i have to work and then the second/last week with more time as i will take vacation time =)... but isnt the tub screwed to the studs on the tub lip. then tiles over that lip?
fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

The drywall and the tile are lapped over the tubs flange. No other way to make this waterproof. You will need to first remove the bottom layer or maybe up to three rows. You will need some run to work the tub into place. You will also need access to the tub drain from below. To remove the tub you need to break it into pieces. If it is cast iron, smash it with a sledge hammer. If it is fiberglass cut it up with a sawsall. You should be able to remove the tiles, clean with a 4" grinder wheel and install them back when you are done.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
The drywall and the tile are lapped over the tubs flange.
Hopefully you don't have drywall behind that tile! If so, consider a total re-tile job using appropriate cement backerboard with an applied waterproofing.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

it is the way to go but he stated that the tile was not to be removed. Why remove it before it needs to be done? As a pro I would agree, but as a homeowner also, I can also see not spending money where is not needed at the current time. When he does remove the tiles at the bottom, he will see what condition the underlayment is and can deal with it accordingly. As MikeyP states.. just check back here when issues arise.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote