Bathtub Handles Spin - Replace Handles? Cartridges? Stems? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathtub handles spin - replace handles? Cartridges? Stems?

Hi,

My bathtub has two handles - one controlling 'hot' and one controlling 'cold'. Lately, I've had a difficult time turning the water off because the handles are now able to spin completely around (previously, they would stop at the proper point and turn off the water).

I removed the handles and see a blue recessed cylinder that allows me to turn the water on and off (vs using the handles). The blue cylinders appear slightly cracked. My research tells me the fixture might be a Moen - not really sure how I can tell.

Question - what needs to be replaced? Is it the handles, since they keep spinning? ? The blue cylinders (are these cartridges? Stems?) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please see attached photos. As you can see, the blue cylinder I removed (is that a cartridge?) is slightly cracked and is a little worse for wear. Is this the likely problem causing the handle to spin and should replacing it help?

(BTW - what brand does this look like?)

Attached Thumbnails
Bathtub handles spin - replace handles? Cartridges? Stems?-img_0377.jpg   Bathtub handles spin - replace handles? Cartridges? Stems?-img_0378.jpg   Bathtub handles spin - replace handles? Cartridges? Stems?-img_0379.jpg  

Advertisement

pmandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Not a brand I am familiar with, but the handle definitely looks bad. The end of the valvestem is square, or nearly so, and looks OK. I never understood why these manufacturers won't put their name on their products. Some show it proudly, some won't tell.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 256

The cartridge is still in the tap and is fine if the tap is not leaking. The blue part is definetly the problem and is what I call a handle insert. Hopefully you can find new inserts, will be much cheaper than new handles. Sorry, can't help you with the brand name.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,048

I call that blue piece a "shaft extension". Often you can't get an exact match and what you do end up with has the handle sticking out a little further than it should. (The next smaller size is too short.)

It has been said that plumbing manufacturers don't put their name on their lowest priced models.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

the plastic stem makes it look like a delta style valve. the brass threaded ring should unscrew, then the cartridge should pop out. turn the water off first under the cartridge i'd expect to find rubber seats and springs. if thats what it looks like take the parts to the box store and buy replacements for everything.
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote