Bathtub Faucet Replacement - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathtub faucet replacement

I am doing a bathroom re-model and tore out the old tub/shower and am putting in a new one. I have a question on replacing the valve. I currently have a Moen 2520 posi-temp valve and am thinking of ordering another Moen faucet that is compatible with this valve so I don't have to change it. The valve is 10 years old, but doesn't leak at all and appears upon inspection to be in good shape.

Is this a good idea or would it be best to replace the valve. I just worry about the pipe solder joints and potential leakage since when the shower walls go up, it will be very difficult to access.

Thanks

Steve

Advertisement

huyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
mike owes me $53 dollars

Rewards Points: 75

Bathtub faucet replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by huyer
I am doing a bathroom re-model and tore out the old tub/shower and am putting in a new one. I have a question on replacing the valve. I currently have a Moen 2520 posi-temp valve and am thinking of ordering another Moen faucet that is compatible with this valve so I don't have to change it. The valve is 10 years old, but doesn't leak at all and appears upon inspection to be in good shape.

Is this a good idea or would it be best to replace the valve. I just worry about the pipe solder joints and potential leakage since when the shower walls go up, it will be very difficult to access.

Thanks

Steve
You should at least shut the water off and pull out the cartridge to inspect the inside port of the valve. Personally I'd rather replace the whole assembly but a new cartridge and trim kit can be feasable.
Keep in mind, I think Moen changed the hole locations on the valve and trim kit plates so they don't line up with the old (double check that as well)

Todd
www.aloneeagle.com

Advertisement

Tech Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote