Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #1

Share |

Bathtub faucet leak in wall

I own a 1998 manufactored home and i recently discovered i have a water leak between my guest bathroom wall and guest bedroom wall. I opened up the wall and have found out that the faucet is plastic. The kind with a pull up thing for a shower. The place were the lines attack dont leak but if i reach up behind the tub near the back of the faucet and turn on the hot water or the shower i get a very wet hand. Do i need to replace the faucet? Does anyone know what could be causing this?

seabreezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
Man of many hats

I've read and re-read your post three times, but I am still not sure what you are saying. I have never heard of a plastic faucet... maybe you are referring to CPVC lines running to the faucet? And if I understand correctly, you say that it leaks when you have it in shower mode, but only with the HOT water turned on? If there is a leak at the hot water connection, it seems that it should leak in both tub or shower modes (though there is slightly more pressure on the line when going to the shower due to water constriction from the showerhead, versus freeflow through the tub spout). Often the line running from the top of the valve to the showerhead can fail, but that should be in both cold AND hot water temps. Can you cut an access hole behind the actual valve to get a better look and maybe post a picture?
Let us know,
Brett

Old 02-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #3

If you go to this website you will see what kind of faucet i have. http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/tuboffset.htm

I cant cut out anymore or i wont have anything left to attach the faucet too. It leaks when the hot water is on only in the tub and any time you turn on the shower. But not when cold water is on in tub only. Dont think its the shower. I think its the faucet leaking from what i can feel.
Its not leaking where the water lines connects to the faucet either, i can see that part.

Last edited by seabreezz; 02-14-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: added to post
seabreezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
Man of many hats

I would assume you have tried tightening the hot water side where it connects to the faucet. Assuming you have, and it is still leaking, since this IS a plastic faucet, it is possible that there is a crack in the hot water side and the faucet needs to be replaced. Like it says in the link you posted, over-tightening can cause leaks/breaks and can only be corrected by replacement. I'm not sure about manufactured homes, but I would seriously consider changing to a metal valve(also available with 8" widths) so as to not have to worry about it in the near future. Mobile homes present their own problems as most have only 3" studs and 1/4" drywall, making the mounting of a new valve more of a challenge, but not impossible.

Tags
bath tub, faucets, into wall, leaking