Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #1

Share |

Bathtub drains really slow.

I have owed my home for just 3 weeks, it was buit in 1947 and my bathtub started draining really slow about a week ago. A few nights ago I deceided to use a plunger to try and unclog it. I tryed several times and it didn't help at all. I went to flush the toilet which worked fine befor I plunged the bathtub and it almost over flowed. I tried plunging the toilet and the water came up into the bathtub, that still had a couple inches deep of water in it from bathing. I waited about 30 minutes for the water to subside in the tub and tried flushing and plunging the toilet again and the water came up into the tub again. I went to Lowe's and bought some commerical grade drain cleaner and poured it into the drain in the tub. Waited about an hour and flushed with hot water. The water backed up again. I waited about 30 minutes for the water to go down and tried flushing the toilet again and it flushed fine. The tub still drain very slow. The sink between the tub and toilet works perfect, same with kitchen sink and washer. I've used the drain cleaner two more times in the last couple of days, no change. Any suggestions?

Sherri58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #2

#1 almost never a good idea to use a drain cleaner.
Is there any access under the house?
Most often it's just a trap or a line plugged up. Far better to remove the trap or a clean out plug and snake out the drain.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Sherri58 (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri58 View Post
I have owed my home for just 3 weeks, it was buit in 1947 and my bathtub started draining really slow about a week ago. A few nights ago I deceided to use a plunger to try and unclog it. I tryed several times and it didn't help at all. I went to flush the toilet which worked fine befor I plunged the bathtub and it almost over flowed. I tried plunging the toilet and the water came up into the bathtub, that still had a couple inches deep of water in it from bathing. I waited about 30 minutes for the water to subside in the tub and tried flushing and plunging the toilet again and the water came up into the tub again. I went to Lowe's and bought some commerical grade drain cleaner and poured it into the drain in the tub. Waited about an hour and flushed with hot water. The water backed up again. I waited about 30 minutes for the water to go down and tried flushing the toilet again and it flushed fine. The tub still drain very slow. The sink between the tub and toilet works perfect, same with kitchen sink and washer. I've used the drain cleaner two more times in the last couple of days, no change. Any suggestions?

It appears from where I am sitting that you have a clog in the toilet drain piping, which the tub is draining in to also. The other sinks may be on a different drain/vent stack. You may end up with outside help on this one. good luck.

Last edited by Jeeps; 04-23-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #4

Thanks for your input.
Sherri58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri58 View Post
sounds like you have a clog on line that services commode and tub.....i think you need to have it snaked out...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote