Bathtub Drains - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Bathtub Drains

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for the serious DIY and pros.

My wife likes this tub:

http://www.qualitybath.com/product~ID~84370.htm

It seems a very nice tub. But it does not come with fixtures of oiled rubbed bronze. Our ENTIRE bathroom is oil rubbed bronze. The faucet doesn't come with the tub, so we can get whatever we want.

However, the drain is a one off item. According to the manufactorer, the tub is 3" deeper than a normal tub, so I have to use their drain. The popup can not be replaced without replacing the whole drain.

So, according to the pictures, it looks like a standard drain with overflow. If that's the case, can these be made custom at home? Is there something special about them? Do you think I could take this special drain and modify it?

Thanks,
Timothy

Advertisement

myowneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 552

Bathtub Drains

it looks like you would have to use there overflow but not sure about drain. but at least they offer same color as tub
watco makes finish you want and adapters to fit different drain shoe threads if drain stopper threads in to drain shoe.
http://www.wcmind.com/watco/PDFMainFrame.html

Advertisement

jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #3

Bathtub Drains

Just set an American standard tub you have to use their overflows but you can use any drain you want as long as they're are push close(due to the fact there isn't any plunger on American standard overflows).in my opinion since you have to use their overflows I think it would look silly not to use their drain also.it all blends in pretty well.i know you guys want to keep it all the same color but without a matching overflow it there is alot of seperation between the faucet and drain.i wouldn't like the look but just my opinion
plumberman134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #4

Bathtub Drains

Jay, your signature almost knocked me out of my chair. Especially #4. :D

Ok, I'm a self taught DIY'r, so terminology isn't in my vocabulary. I'm assuming the drain shoe is what the drain stopper plugs into?

Plumberman, are the overflows built into the tub is why you have to use theirs? And I agree, if I couldn't get a matching over flow, it wouldn't look right.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 04-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #5

Bathtub Drains

They aren't built in but I'm guessing they have a patent on the style cause I've never seen anything that would come even close to fitting.there are 3 smaller holes of the flat part of the tub instead of the one bigger hole on the wall like we usually see.i don't like the fact they make us use their overpriced drain assembly's but I really like the tubs.their design allows for more water in the tub for a deeper soak.never understood why they put the overflows so low on most tubs
Old 04-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #6

Bathtub Drains

I suppose someone could make you a overflow cover and some type of cap for the drain if you wanted.im guessing it would be extremely expensive but mechanically it could be done.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #7

Bathtub Drains

I really wish I had a better mind picture of how this all went together.

I was figuring the overflow was kinda like how a shower drain goes together. This kinda sucks. Guess we'll keep looking then.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #8

Bathtub Drains

It's nothing complex.if you have ever seen a regular tub waste it's exactly like the except the overflow is rectangler instead of round.there is a rubber gasket that fits inside and all that gets installed on the bottom of the deck.on the top there is a metal plate that has two screws which go into the bottom piece to compress the gasket for your seal.then you install the plate(the part you see) with two more screws and they are hidden by a sticker that says American standard.thats the part in sure a metal fabricator could make up for you in whatever style or color you want.the drain goes together like every other waste.ive never looked for one but I'm sure there is a oil rubbed bronze stopper that would fit it.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Bathtub Drains

You can get a white one.

If you really want the drain to stick out, get a white evolution waste/overflow kit, then buy an O.R.B. waste/overflow kit from some other manufacturer and just replace the lower part of the drain assembly.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
Doing it myself

Bathtub Drains

There's also this option :
http://www.tcpglobal.com/SprayPaintD...emNo=KRY+51254

My wife has used this for some projects and i'm pretty impressed with the way it looks.

Not sure if it would match your faucets and accessories, but it's an option.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #11

Bathtub Drains

Unfortunately, I have zero experience with tubs yet. Everything I know about renovations, have been learned right before or during the reno.

I have an idea of what your saying though. I appreciate the advice, thanks.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #12

Bathtub Drains

Alan, I haven't entirely ruled that one out yet either. I know Moen has a spray paint kit too.

Last edited by myowneq; 04-16-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
Doing it myself

Bathtub Drains

Here you go :

This is just an example. First you buy your "White" american standard evolution drain. The overflow portion will match the tub and look just fine. (I'm assuming white tub here, or you get whatever color will match the tub)

Then you buy one of these :

http://www.standardplumbing.com/inde..._rubbed_bronze

You assemble this to fit with glue and pipe (no slip joints), except leave the overflow portion out of the equation.

Then you buy one of these :

http://www.sustainablesupply.com/1CN...AID=1307423466

You glue that into the socket of the fitting where the overflow piping WOULD have been glued in. It will now accept the tubular evolution overflow which you will have white, and the lower portion of the drain can accept the oil rubbed bronze fittings.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #14

Bathtub Drains

That's kinda what I was wondering could be done. I've looked at many many more photos of the overflow. I think I could live with the overflow being white. I wasn't aware it was so different from the normal overflow. With the faucet on the side and the overflow on the end, you almost wouldn't notice it.

But I really really want the drain to match the faucets and the faucets are going to be ORB. I would hate to do this, but I might buy just the drain and experiment some. I have found just the drain for $70.

Advertisement