Bathtub Draining Slowly - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2010, 09:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bathtub draining slowly

My bathtub started to drain very slowly a few weeks ago. I have tried Liquid Plumber with no results. My bathroom sink had been draining slowly before that. I just moved into this place last August and the tub was ok up to now but the sink was a slow drainer right from the start. Any hints as to what might cause this problem?

Advertisement

needtoknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

bathtub draining slowly

Need to snake the sink and tub.

I bet you will pull out a hair ball.

The sink should be straight forward to snake. For the tub remove the tub trip/overflow and snake from there.

You can buy a 15-20ft 1/4in snake at the big box store for $20 or less. Get the one where it has a hand crank.

Advertisement

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:11 AM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

bathtub draining slowly

I am NOT a pro plumber, just a very long-time handyman.
I built my home in 1977, and have never had to snake a sluggish drain. Whenever I see a drain (kitchen sinks, two bathroom sinks, two shower/tub units) getting sluggish, I pour in liquid enzyme-based drain cleaner such as DrainCare. It dissolves the organic blockage, but will not harm you, the fixture or the drain lines. (I never use caustic drain cleaners like Liquid Plumber or Drano. They usually just leak right past a partial blockage anyway and don't help at all.)
All that you do is run warm water down the sluggish drain, pour in a good slug of DrainCare, let it eat on the organic gunk (hair, soap scum, body oils, etc.) overnight, and then flush the drain line with hot water. I start the flushing with a kettle of boiling water, then run the hot water only until the drain is free and clear. If the drain is really sluggish, you may have to do it twice overnight.
Works every time.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote