DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bathtub drain and w&O overflow connection

11K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Double A 
#1 ·
I'm planning on intalling a tub and using a pvc W&O. My question concerns how to connect the The 1.5" pvc pipe stubbing out of the slab with the tail of the W&O. I don't want to solvent weld the two pipes with a coupling just in case it has to be disconnected for some reason. Should I connect them with a rubber coupling (fernco...plumbqwik) or might there be some other solution that I'm missing? There is going to be a built in unit of shelves in the bathroom immediately behind the tubs wet wall, so an access panel could be build to inspect any mechanical joint. I want a joint that is going to be strong and am kind of stuck on what would be the best connection. Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

#2 ·
A trap adapter and slip joint connection is what is traditionally used, if your waste and overflow is tubular PVC.

If its Sch 40 PVC, then use a no-hub band clamp to join it to the PVC coming up from the slab. This connection is varmint resistant, and a fernco would not be. The band will also help stabilize the joint if there is slight misalignment.

I would definitely leave an access panel if at all possible. If you use slip joints, then the access panel is required by most model codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.