Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #1

Share |

Bathtub Drain

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to help my parent's out and I have zero bathtub experience.

This is a jacuzzi tub that's approx 15-20 years old. Everything works fine except as long as my parents have owned the house (about 8 years), the tub has never had a proper drain plug. They've always used that plastic piece you slap over the drain and that stops the water.

Mom wants to replace the drain with a lever type deal. Looking at the tub, I'd likely have to pull the whole dang tub out to replace a drain. There's zero room to work off the access panel, even if I cut the drywall out.

But I was looking, there appears to be a threaded hole in the drain. I was wondering, was this a plug of some sort? Can someone give me a name or description of what I'm looking for? l What are my options going from here?

Some pictures. Sorry they're so crappy.

Thanks,
Timothy

Last edited by myowneq; 04-06-2012 at 08:10 PM.
myowneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #2

Bathtub Drain

You could use something like this
http://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?P...FQ1jhwod8EOyYg
With a drain wrench, screw driver and plumbers putty it should take about a hour

Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #3

Bathtub Drain

Would I have to take the old drain out? If so, that's not gonna work. I'd really have to take the tub out.

The tub as a whole is sitting on the concrete slab. They cut a square into the slab to make room for the drain, but didn't leave enough room to work on it. I can barely squeeze one hand in there, but there's no room to use any type of tool. On top of all that, I can't see what I'm doing.

Taking the tub out is an absolute last option. And I'm not even sure Mom would go for it.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #4

Bathtub Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by myowneq View Post
Would I have to take the old drain out? If so, that's not gonna work. I'd really have to take the tub out.

The tub as a whole is sitting on the concrete slab. They cut a square into the slab to make room for the drain, but didn't leave enough room to work on it. I can barely squeeze one hand in there, but there's no room to use any type of tool. On top of all that, I can't see what I'm doing.

Taking the tub out is an absolute last option. And I'm not even sure Mom would go for it.
Use one of these ($10.00) to unscrew the existing chrome drain piece from inside the tub. Wrap some putty around the flange on the new piece and screw it in- you're done
Thats the short version but it's really not hard. No need to open walls. Do it all from inside the tub
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #5

Bathtub Drain

You might try one of these too
https://www.buyeagle.biz/push-pull-r...tm_campaign=be
It might screw into the existing.
Does the original have linkage inside the overflow tube? It will need to be removed
Old 04-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #6

Bathtub Drain

As far as I can tell from both the overflow and the drain, there's no linkage pieces at all.

So what your saying is on a bathtub, the drain may be removable from the tub? I know both my showers, you had to have access to the bottom of the tub for the big nut. That would be so awesome.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #7

Bathtub Drain

I asked about the linkage because you have a hole in the overflow cover- thats where the lever for the linkage goes. Just wanted to make sure the guts are not still in the overflow
And yes,all the work can be done on your knees, inside the tub.
This picture shows some of your options. The old piece unscrews-replace with new. Browse the box store isle near you
Attached Thumbnails
Bathtub Drain-lift-turn-toe-tap-waste-overflow.jpg  
myowneq (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #8

Bathtub Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
And yes,all the work can be done on your knees, inside the tub.
This is just so wrong on so many levels. :D Yes, I can be immature at times.

Quote:
I asked about the linkage because you have a hole in the overflow cover- thats where the lever for the linkage goes. Just wanted to make sure the guts are not still in the overflow
I couldn't see or feel anything. I too noticed the "looked like there was once something there" piece. Can't explain it and Mom said been like that since they bought the house.

Quote:
This picture shows some of your options. The old piece unscrews-replace with new. Browse the box store isle near you
I will do that. You might have just made a Mother proud.

Thanks,
Timothy

The Following User Says Thank You to myowneq For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (04-06-2012)