Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom venting questions

Hello all,

I am getting ready to redo my main bath, but have a few questions about venting. I am new to the forum so please bear with me if pictures don't attach, or other such problems occur.

First of all, I live on a small acreage in southwest Manitoba and have a well and septic tank and septic field. I moved from the city a year ago and am unsure of all the ins and outs of rural plumbing.

The bathtub is located roughly 5' from the main stack, but it has a vent connected to it roughly 16" from the drain/P-trap. The vent does not go through the roof, only into the attic. Is it the vent required since the distance to the main stack is further, and should I increase the diameter of the drain/vent (I have to move the plumbing anyway, wider tub)?

There is another pipe that (once was, it's cracked now) connected to the main stack, approximately 4' above the floor, that just goes through the concrete in the basement floor. There is a Y that has a cap on it, not a clean out or anything. Is this a vent for the holding tank, before the sewage is pumped into the septic tank? Or was it meant for venting a basement bathroom (basement is unfinished, but plumbing was somewhat roughed in - but that's another post).

Hopefully this makes since and the images loaded so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom venting questions-img_1066-2.jpg   Bathroom venting questions-img_1067-2.jpg   Bathroom venting questions-img_1068-2.jpg  

philjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

In my opinion, you need to pay a licensed plumber for at minimum a consulting fee/inspection. It appears you could have some code violations that only a pro can tell for sure on site. good luck

Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,236

My code would require the tub vent and it should tie into the vent stack or terminate thru the roof- not the attic.
The pipe with the wye appears to be a vent for a fixture in the basement slab or a drain/vent for a future sink or lav, no telling why it has a wye- what does the 3 or 4" stack serve?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #4

Would it be possible to install a cheater valve in the wall for the tub, they are legal in Manitoba (from what I've heard)?
The stack is 3" and serves the toilet, tub, and vanity - there are no fixtures it is connected to downstairs.
philjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #5

The new p-trap needs to remain under the drain, then a section of drain pipe can bring you to the wall where you will install the tee. Vents do have maximum number of elbow requirements, but the few that you will have, if any, will not reach that amount. Any part of the vent section needs to be sloped upwards or vertical and shall be installed to not allow waste to enter it.
JackWebber is offline   Reply With Quote