Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Vent Hose Setup

Hi,

I had a company install a new bathroom vent hose this week. The original one vented to the attic with an uninsulated hose. The new one they installed is an insulated flex hose that now runs to a proper vent through the roof.

The problem I'm experiencing is that the fan doesn't exhaust as well now as it did when it had the uninsulated hose that vented to the attic. When I get out of the shower, the mirror is completely covered in condensation whereas before it was not and takes significantly more time to clear the room of humidity.

I assumed the issue was due to the new hose having several bends in it, whereas the old one was basically straight. It takes 1 45 and 2 90 degree angles (45 in the hose, 90 in the hose, 90 to exit the roof vent).

By looking at the attached picture, is the new flex hose installed correctly?
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Vent Hose Setup-bathroom-vent-hose-1.jpg  
incufilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #2

Bathroom Vent Hose Setup

how big is this fan that it requires a 6" insulated duct....I think this is your problem..... looks like way over size pipe....what did they take out. what is going through roof.... what size is your fan..

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 11-15-2011 at 07:58 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
fabrk8r

Bathroom Vent Hose Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by incufilter View Post
is the new flex hose installed correctly?
No it isn't installed correctly.

The flex duct should have no kinks and be stretched fairly tightly to provide proper air flow. And as Ben said, it should probably be 4" flex unless you are using an industrial/commercial vent fan.

You should call the installer back and point this out.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Chicago, IL

Bathroom Vent Hose Setup

What you have there is a big P trap for condensed exhaust...
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #5

Bathroom Vent Hose Setup

The fan is 100cfm
Through the roof it goes to a vent port they just installed. I believe it's a 90 degree downward slope facing vent opening.

Not sure what the old vent hose size was. It was uninsulated so it's hard for me to compare the two. It's still sitting up there in the rafters if a picture helps?
I figured it was the same size just covered in insulation.
Can you tell it's a 6" just by looking? I couldn't find any markings on it that designated the size.

I asked the tech why it was curved 90 degrees and they said it was so no moisture would drain back toward the fan and cause a fire. I have looked this up by googling it but everyone seems to have a different opinion. Some say straight is perfect, others say it has to be bent part way to avoid moisture draw back to the fan.
incufilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #6

Bathroom Vent Hose Setup

on 100 cfm seems like 4"would be required to exhaust ....however as was mentioned maybe try getting pipe straighter and strecth it ....why is the roof vent so far from fan anyway......closer and straighter always better.....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
fabrk8r

Bathroom Vent Hose Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by incufilter View Post
I asked the tech why it was curved 90 degrees and they said it was so no moisture would drain back toward the fan and cause a fire. I have looked this up by googling it but everyone seems to have a different opinion. Some say straight is perfect, others say it has to be bent part way to avoid moisture draw back to the fan.
If there is condensation forming on the inner walls of the flex duct then there are several things that are causing this.

1. Vent fan not moving enough air.
2. Fan is not run long enough after shower to exhaust all moisture from room and vent pipe.
3. Inadequate insulation on vent pipe.
4. Improperly run vent pipe causing restriction.

There should be as few bends, kinks and turns as possible in any run of flex vent.