Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom Vanity P-trap Question

I'm in the process of installing new vanities in our master bath, and unfortunately have run into a little snag. Our new sinks sit a little lower and closer to the wall than our old ones and it's giving me a headache trying to figure out the best way to attach the p-trap assembly. I don't have much room to work with, only about 4" from center of tailpiece to the drain outlet in the wall, and the drain outlet is directly in line with the tailpiece. I'm trying to avoid hacking into the wall and moving the drain down, so is there any way to modify the trap arm to make this work, or do I just have to bite the bullet and open the wall? Thanks for the advice.

Jfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,176

Shorten the tail piece as much as possible. If that does not give you the room I am afraid you need to lower the trap arm. Open the wall. I would pull the vanity out and cut the drywall. Lower the trap arm, stick the patch back in (no need to get fancy) and reinstall the vanity,

Old 07-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured that would be the answer. The vanity is open in the back so I think I can just open up the wall without taking the vanity out. Is moving that drain outlet down difficult? I'm a fairly avid DIYer but have limited experience in the plumbing arena.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Moving the trap arm tee is dead easy. I am assuming you have PVC drains. Mark the pipe where you want the new tee. Cut of the pipe going down at place you want the new tee. Glue in a short piece going up from the tee to make up top the pipe going up. Glue the tee in on the bottom and use a Fernco connector to close up the top.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

maybe I'm missing something, you should be able to cut to size the drain tail piece for height, and then cut the tail going to wall connection for size. not sure I want to open the wall for more cutting.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #6

I went ahead and opened the wall a little to check things out and now I think I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place. The drain goes into the wall and takes an immediate 90 over to the 2nd sink drain which is on the left. I was thinking I could just move the drain to the left, but that doesn't help with the height issue. I have attached a picture to better show my predicament. Please advise. Thank you
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

The cheese gets a little more binding but is still doable. Now you have to open the wall to the left and lower the the tee that your original drain connects to. Re-drill the studs and run a new drain (lower) back to your new vanity. You will probably have to put this run in short pieces and connect with couplings. You may need a right angle drill to make the new holes.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #8

I was afraid of that. This wall does back up to the garage so I've got access from behind it which will probably be easier and cleaner. Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfranke View Post
I was afraid of that. This wall does back up to the garage so I've got access from behind it which will probably be easier and cleaner. Thanks again.
If freezing is not an issue and it is not too ugly for you, you could go straight back thru the wall and run the pipe exposed in the garage. Kind of hack but I have seen worse. Put a box around it and paint too match the garage.