Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #1

Share |

bathroom sink shutoff valves

Want to replace both shutoff valves to the bathroom sink. Saw a valve in Home Depot by Brasscraft 1/4 turn for only a dollar or more than the normal shutoff valves. Are the 1/4 turn valves better? Also, any other valve that should be considered that would not be too much more? Thanks for your help.

gt1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

I like the 1/4 turn stops

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
Picky Plumber

1/4 turn is way better, more reliable, and will work correctly every time. No washers to deteriorate, clog up your aerators, and keep the stops from completely closing. Go for it!
Plumber26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #4

I'm remodeling my guest bath, and replaced the two very old shutoff to the sink with the 1/4 turn shutoffs.

The first pair I bought needed to be soldered on, and even though I left the valves open when I soldered, they both leaked a little after I was done.

Stupidly I bought another pair just like the first and tried again, this time putting a cold, wet rag on the open valves. This time one leaked; one didn't.

So - I bought another pair, but this time with threaded connections, and bought the matching threaded connectors. I soldered the connectors to the pipes and then threaded the shutoffs on. Voila - no leaks.

Maybe I'm just not experienced enough, but I've done quite a bit of soldering, including other shutoffs in the past, and never had any problem. Because of my experience with these shutoffs, I recommend getting the ones with threaded connectors.
AliceT24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1935 View Post
Saw a valve in Home Depot by Brasscraft
Do yourself a favor...buy all valves from a plumbing supply house. Way better quality than the big box ones.

And go for the 1/4 turn.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote