Bathroom Sink Drains Slow, Opening And Closing Stopper Will Get It To Drain Fast - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Bathroom sink drains slow, opening and closing stopper will get it to drain fast

I replaced the drain assembly in my bathroom sink a few months ago and now the sin drains really slowly. If I open and close the stopper a few times itll bubble then the water will drain as it should. I dont remember if it used to do this with the old drain because I never really used this bathroom.

Any ideas on how I could fix this?

Advertisement

Arsinek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,294

Bathroom sink drains slow, opening and closing stopper will get it to drain fast

Sounds like a venting issue to me. You need that air vacuum to move the water. Check your vents first.

Advertisement

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #3

Everything else in the house drains fine. If venting was an issue wouldn't it effect other things?

Could the length of the drain pipe going into the Ptrap be causing it?

The pipe drain was a little long.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsinek View Post
Everything else in the house drains fine. If venting was an issue wouldn't it effect other things?

Could the length of the drain pipe going into the Ptrap be causing it?

The pipe drain was a little long.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I doubt it's venting if you only replaced the pop up assembly.
Did you use putty to assemble it? Putty can squeeze into the overflow port and block air from the sinks overflow line and cause drain problems like yours- common issue with vessel sinks that don't have overflows.
I bet if you stuck a drinking straw down the drain while it's backed up- it would drain immediately.

Another thing to check is the proper settings on the pop up linkage. Does it drain ok without the pop up?

As for the length of the tailpiece- Max length per UPC is 24"- so you're probably ok
Old 03-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,724

Sounds like gunk build up on the stopper. Remove it and clean the thing.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I doubt it's venting if you only replaced the pop up assembly.
Did you use putty to assemble it? Putty can squeeze into the overflow port and block air from the sinks overflow line and cause drain problems like yours- common issue with vessel sinks that don't have overflows.
I bet if you stuck a drinking straw down the drain while it's backed up- it would drain immediately.

Another thing to check is the proper settings on the pop up linkage. Does it drain ok without the pop up?

As for the length of the tailpiece- Max length per UPC is 24"- so you're probably ok
Ive let this problem sit for awhile.

Im pretty sure it has something to do with air trapped somewhere. When the sink starts backing up you can see an air bubble under the stopper. Then if you pull and push the stopper handle real fast a few times the drain will "burp" and it'll start flowing normally. I have a regular sink with no over flow and a pop up style drain stopper.

Advertisement