Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #1

Share |

bathroom rough in help

Hello,
I've never done any plumbing before but generally very handy. I'm finishing my basement slowly and need to get on the plumbing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV43...ature=youtu.be

In this video you'll see the layout and I would like to put a shower and not a tub. Need advise on the plumbing and how the lines and drains should be connected/moved. I plan to take a picture and of the existing layout and draw up what I think needs to be done and would like some guidelines on the proper way to do the plumbing.

would greatly appreciate any input on how I should get the rough in.

Thanks.

Last edited by kimbhoot; 12-11-2012 at 04:16 PM.
kimbhoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #2

bathroom rough in help

This is one job I strongly would suggest hiring a real licenced plumber to do!
Not even a friend of a friend that's done it before.
Reason being this is going to be a one shot deal. Done wrong and your going to be cutting out the concrete and doing it over.
Look though some of the older post and see some of the dozens of people having to do a do over.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #3

bathroom rough in help

I would hire someone to lay the shower for me and move the drain but I was thinking if I could do some parts to help save some cost.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
DIY staff

bathroom rough in help

Shower drains need to be 2" pipe---

Rent an electric jack hammer and open the floor---you will need a line back to the 3" toilet main line and a 1 1/2 " vent within 5 feet of the shower drain----

I would abandon the unwanted tub line so that section of the floor doesn't have to be demolished--
Old 12-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #5

bathroom rough in help

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Shower drains need to be 2" pipe---

Rent an electric jack hammer and open the floor---you will need a line back to the 3" toilet main line and a 1 1/2 " vent within 5 feet of the shower drain----

I would abandon the unwanted tub line so that section of the floor doesn't have to be demolished--
Spot on again Mike
Make it easy on yourself and install a tub/shower unit. You're already set up for it.

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #6

bathroom rough in help

I've attached some images for clarification.
the dimension of my bathroom (inside measurement without drywall) is 109"x75".

the toilet stub center is 44.5" from the far wall and 12" from the back wall. If I put a 32" wide shower, that leaves 12.5" from the end of the shower to the center of the toilet. I think that's too tight. what's the recommended distance?

the current bathtub drain(center) is 9" from the far wall and 3.5" from the back wall.

So Mike, what you're suggesting is just cut and seal the existing tub drain, open a channel from the toilet to the center of the shower area. how about the vent? where does it go? Do you mind drawing your idea on the images I provided since I'm not very clear?

Thanks and much appreciate your help.
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom rough in help-20121211_213026_.jpg   bathroom rough in help-20121211_213048_.jpg   bathroom rough in help-20121211_213100_.jpg   bathroom rough in help-20121211_213107_.jpg   bathroom rough in help-20121211_213118_.jpg  

bathroom rough in help-20121211_213128_.jpg  
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #7

bathroom rough in help

In the attached pic, my understanding is that it's the drain for the sink. does that double as the vent? do I need vent for both toilet and shower?
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom rough in help-20121211_213026_edit.jpg  
Old 12-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #8

bathroom rough in help

Can you cut the cap off the tub/shower riser and look for standing water at it's base? It appears to be a 2" pipe- that leads me to believe it's a shower drain and not a tub, which would be 1.5". If there is water or you pour a gallon of water down the pipe and it stays there then its a ptrap for a shower. That will help you.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #9

bathroom rough in help

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Can you cut the cap off the tub/shower riser and look for standing water at it's base? It appears to be a 2" pipe- that leads me to believe it's a shower drain and not a tub, which would be 1.5". If there is water or you pour a gallon of water down the pipe and it stays there then its a ptrap for a shower. That will help you.
Will do that in the morning and get back with the result.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #10

bathroom rough in help

yes, the pipe is 2".
Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #11

bathroom rough in help

okay. poured a big bucket of water and it all went in. If I look down with a flash light, looks like it turns diagonally and not parallel to any of the two walls! so just bust the concrete out and move it? do I need to move the toilet as well?
Old 12-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #12

bathroom rough in help

have contacted a concrete company to cut the concrete so I can do the plumbing work. any words of advise?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #13

bathroom rough in help

You need to determine the drain location of your shower unit. This is available from the supplier. Make the saw cuts at least as wide as a shovel so you can dig the trench. Cut from the 2" to about 6" beyond the shower drain location.
The center of the toilet stub should be a minimum 15" from the edge of the shower and 12.5" from center to face of framing(12" from finished drywall) Check this while the cutter is available.
I'm assuming the venting is correct as the ground work was inspected when the house was built.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #14

bathroom rough in help

so I had a group come and break my concrete floor and move the drains. He moved both the drains and was going to come back and fill up the floor with concrete, I was curious to make sure things are done right so I moved the gravel and saw it was wet in this one area. further digging, I saw water (see attached photo).

I tried to dry the water by soaking it and running a fan overnight. It was dry in the morning when I left for work but when I came home, it had the same amount of water (the amount you see in the pic).

I was concerned that there was a leak, had the guy come over and he said it's ground water and there isn't any leak! he and I both put buckets of water down the pipe but the level didn't increase or didn't increase enough for me to notice. Please advise what you think this issue is. He suggests that we should pour concrete back in and fill it up but I would like to watch few more days to make sure the level isn't rising. I dug another small area about 18" away from this to see if that area gets wet but it's dry.

I'm confused. please help.
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom rough in help-20130120_140731.jpg   bathroom rough in help-20130120_140726.jpg   bathroom rough in help-20130120_140720.jpg  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
Roofmaster

bathroom rough in help

This joint is very poorly made. Street 45?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf This joint looks really bad to me.pdf (74.8 KB, 48 views)

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote