Bathroom Remodel. New Shower Plumbing - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2008, 12:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom remodel. New Shower Plumbing

So, I am in the middle of a remodel. Finished up the electrical now I need to get the plumbing done so I can get the inspector out to do the first check.

So, now I am dry fitting all the copper fittings and have to make a choice.

My question is, does it matter if there are multiple couplings? Or should I try and use a single peice of copper?

I mean, should I solder and remove the pipe where there is an exiting connection or can I just cut a two foot section out and add a new section using couplers?

Main reason is that I am putting in a whirlpool and the valve and spout has to move up a few inches.

I guess is there an advantage or disadvantage to having less couplers? Or does it not even matter, especially if there is no current leak?

Advertisement

s4alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:59 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

I personally do not see anything wrong with it, Its done all the time with remodeling,

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
DIY'r

Rewards Points: 500

What Bob said ^^^

The only advantage with less fittings I could see is cutting down on the possibility of leaks.. But with properly sweated copper, it wouldn't concern me.

If you could eliminate a LOT of fittings, I'd say put in a fresh pipe for neatness sake. A few fittings, might as well save the $ and time and use what's there.
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #4

Not a problem. More joints would allow more chances for leaks but this is rare if soldered properly. I would only change it if it were an exposed line and I didn't want to see extra joints.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Great, that makes me feel better. I figured as much. I just didnt want to run into any issues with the inspector. The connectors seem to be done properly as there are no current leaks and seems as though there have not been any.

Atleast this saves me yet another trip to the bix box for two 10ft lengths of copper.
s4alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

just make sure you have it under pressure (water turned on ) when your finished sweating those couplings. I would also discharge some water from both hot & cold so to let the air out of the lines. do this before you close up the walls, with plumbing when ever you leave existing threaded fittings and you vibrate those pipes you have a greater chance of them leaking
good luck BOB.

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote