Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #1

Share |

bathroom drain stub-out what to do if glued

I'm in the middle of a bathroom renovation and Im ready to remove the cabinetry. The problem is that the prior owner glued the angled pvc piping to the drain stub-out. (see the attached pics)

From the trap to the wall, its solid. I can't see any way of removing the cabinets vertically over the water supply lines without cutting the horizontal pvc drain piping.

Is there any other way?

Is there any type of solvent, thinner, acetone, etc that can be used to unfuse the pvc piping at the stub-out? Or...should I just go ahead and cut the piping at the wall?

If I have to cut the piping, can I use a reciprocating saw and cut it flush with the wall, and then glue a new threaded pipe leading to the drain stub-out?

Im kind of stuck till I come up with a solution.. so any thoughts would be appreciated.

(I tried attaching a pic...but every pic method I did was too big a size for this forum... )

Wiscbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscbldr View Post
I'm in the middle of a bathroom renovation and Im ready to remove the cabinetry. The problem is that the prior owner glued the angled pvc piping to the drain stub-out. (see the attached pics)

From the trap to the wall, its solid. I can't see any way of removing the cabinets vertically over the water supply lines without cutting the horizontal pvc drain piping.

Is there any other way?

Is there any type of solvent, thinner, acetone, etc that can be used to unfuse the pvc piping at the stub-out? Or...should I just go ahead and cut the piping at the wall?

If I have to cut the piping, can I use a reciprocating saw and cut it flush with the wall, and then glue a new threaded pipe leading to the drain stub-out?

Im kind of stuck till I come up with a solution.. so any thoughts would be appreciated.

(I tried attaching a pic...but every pic method I did was too big a size for this forum... )
with out seeing hard to say but i think i know what your trying to do..cut it and glue another adapter on ..you could use a sawzall but i use mini hack saw...

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
DIY staff

It is possible to remove a pipe from a fitting---there is a cutter that fits a regular drill and will neatly cut the pipe out of the fitting without damage--

Try that picture again---
Old 12-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #4

Thanks for the info...

I tried to post the pics many times, believe me.. I tried zipped, compressed, jpg, bmap, word doc, a bunch of stuff..heh.. but even compressed, my pic kept coming back larger then what this forum would allow (100 kb).

Anyway, the drain trap I can remove, but... all other piping that goes from the trap to the wall, into the wall, down inside the wall, into the basement, etc..is all glued solid. The only way I can remove the cabinetry is to remove the section thats glued solid to the wall stub-out.

So its either cut it out or drill it out (thanks for that info Mike..Ill look into that).
Old 12-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #5

you need to resize the image to like an 800 x 600 jpeg in any editing software, even microsoft paint will do the trick. once resized, then upload again.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #6

Ok, Ive attached a picture that I sized down to try to get it to fit.

I also relooked over the possibility of moving the drain to a straight vertical next to the water source pipes and it wont work because of the H/vac system under the floor.

However, Im thinking now that I may be able to cut the cpvc water piping and push it down far enough that if I cut the water drain piping at the pipe before the coupling that goes into the wall, I might be able to slide the cabinet out from the wall without lifting it up to remove it. Worst case scenario would be that I have to still cut the drain piping flush to the wall and use a clean up Ram bit to clean out the stub-out before putting on a new insert.

Q: Is there any problem using a threaded coupling close to the wall. I know the trap is threaded piping, but the other piping leading to the wall is glued. Can I use threaded couplings for the trap and piping leading into the stub-out?
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom drain stub-out what to do if glued-100_0568.jpg  
Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
DIY staff

You may end up opening up the drywall and replacing the T---easy enough job and cheaper than the cutter bit---I doubt of the cutter will work for you--its designed to cut a pipe out of a fitting --not a fitting out of a fitting--
I'd stick with glued fittings myself--how often will you be moving the vanity?

When you make up the sink bottom---install the 'hard pipe' after you put the P-trap onto the tailpiece from the sink---
Then 'aim' the P-trap in the direction of the opening in the back of the cabinet----pick out the fittings that give you the best set up---Mike----
Old 12-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #8

yes after seeing pics I would open wall and replace tee as mike said no big deal..sorry for saying you can cut flush did not realize you had fitting at wall...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Owner

If you're removing the cabinets, I'd just cut the cabinet itself. Not the plumbing.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #10

Well, I ended up cutting the section of pvc before the joint attached to the stub in, I also cut off the water valves 4-6 inches above the floor, and was able to push the lines down far enough into the basement to allow the cabinet to be slide out horizontally at an angle away from the wall.

I now have everything out, and since the new cabinets coming in will be in sections vs one large piece, I should be able to cut the hole in the back of the new cabinet and curl the cabinet over the existing piping to the stub out, and then allow the water lines to come up through the floor and through the new holes in the cabinet floor.

Ill need to glue on a new joint piece to connect to the new P trap threaded fittings. This is going to be a dual sink, so Ill have the left side feed to the right side, to a T, then to the trap, to the existing fittings and finally to the stub out.

If all goes right.. the plumbing aspect should be done this weekend...

And if Im really motivated, the entire project will be done in a few days as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wiscbldr For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-11-2011), oh'mike (12-09-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #11

Ok, same project, but different question for all you plumbers...

I'm down to the final drain plumbing. Because of the way the flooring, HVAC, etc is in the basement, Ive got dual sinks being fed by one water source (basically a T for hot and cold). Ive also got the two sinks draining to one one P trap I created, and out to the wall stub-out.

The attached pic shows the "dry run" of how I will final glue everything if it looks ok to people.

My main question is the P trap area. I had to make the P trap area a bit wider at the bottom vs a tighter loop, but its still below the stub out.

If you see an issue, please let me know asap.. otherwise, I figure over the next few days Ill do the final pvc glue and then test for leaks, etc.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom drain stub-out what to do if glued-dual-sink-2.jpg   bathroom drain stub-out what to do if glued-dual-sink-3.jpg   bathroom drain stub-out what to do if glued-dual-sink-1.jpg  
Old 12-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #12

Looks good to me. My only negative comment is that you used the older style angle stop

as opposed to the newer 1/4 turn stop.

Nitpicking to be sure, but you did ask for opinions.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #13

Hey, no problem on the nit picking. I have those newer ones on my toilets througout the house, but I couldnt find them over the weekend when I needed them for this project. So I simply went with the older style.

*But no issues with my mockup/dry run of what I intend to do? Thats great!

Q: Is it overkill to suggest that I pour some water down the pipes before the final glue to make sure everything will drain properly?, or is it not worth worrying about and I should go ahead and glue it and be done with it?

Im just a worry wort that once its glued, thats it, it aint coming un done...heh..
Old 12-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #14
DIY staff

I have an issue---the drain pipe heading to the left hand sink looks like it is lower than the drain into the wall----

If it is lower--the pipe will always be full of water and drain very slowly---
Old 12-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #15

Mike, the height of the left hand tubing is higher then the right hand. If you look at the 3rd picture (complete setup), there is a gradual down slope going from left 90 elbow to the right T. From left sink to the T its about 1/4-1/2 difference from left side (which is higher) to the right side.. so.. it should drain from left to right..then down the t to the P trap I created. Right? (don't go by the hole cut in the cabinet sides as I cut one hole higher then the other side...look at the 3rd pic that shows the whole setup).

The diameters go from 1 1/4 at the sink, to 1 1/2 at the pvc piping to the wall which then becomes a 2 inch.