Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Bathroom drain size question

Hi guys,

Gotta a question please. My apologies if this sounds stupid but question is about the size of the metal ring stopper goes into. That's the visible part that rest on the sink basically.

For my new Kohler vessel sink they have a few matching Kohler drains which all come in 2 1/8 diameter. Unfortunately, I had to get something else as the finish wasn't really matching. New drain's ring is about 2" in diameter. It doesn't drain well so I'm thinking about replacing it with a different drain, which has a 2 1/4" diameter ring.

So, the question is whether it's normally OK to install a tiny bit larger diameter ring drain than the manufacturer’s own spec, larger by 1/8 in my this case, or I guess 1/16 on each side? Hope it makes sense.

Thanks so much.

SM05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #2

As long as it fits in the drain hole, then sure no problem at all.

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #3

Drain hole has this tapered outer edge so it did look like it could accommodate a bit larger piece of hardware but I wasn't sure if that's OK to do that or not. Thanks for confirming it for me.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM05 View Post
Hi guys,

Gotta a question please. My apologies if this sounds stupid but question is about the size of the metal ring stopper goes into. That's the visible part that rest on the sink basically.

For my new Kohler vessel sink they have a few matching Kohler drains which all come in 2 1/8 diameter. Unfortunately, I had to get something else as the finish wasn't really matching. New drain's ring is about 2" in diameter. It doesn't drain well so I'm thinking about replacing it with a different drain, which has a 2 1/4" diameter ring.

So, the question is whether it's normally OK to install a tiny bit larger diameter ring drain than the manufacturer’s own spec, larger by 1/8 in my this case, or I guess 1/16 on each side? Hope it makes sense.

Thanks so much.
maybe its the drainline itself..running slow....
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #5

Are you planning on using a popup drain? If not, you should. Because they have no overflow line (which aids in venting), vessel sinks inherently drain a lot more slowly than regular ones. I know; both of my bathrooms have a vessel sink. One of them has a slightly undersize hole and I've never been able to find a popup drain that will fit. So it has a drain that's just a flat plate with a bunch of small holes in it. Just the surface tension of the water is enough to plug them up. Fortunately, it's in the guest bath, so not often used.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #6

I'm pretty sure drain line is fine. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Are you planning on using a popup drain? If not, you should. Because they have no overflow line (which aids in venting), vessel sinks inherently drain a lot more slowly than regular ones. I know; both of my bathrooms have a vessel sink. One of them has a slightly undersize hole and I've never been able to find a popup drain that will fit. So it has a drain that's just a flat plate with a bunch of small holes in it. Just the surface tension of the water is enough to plug them up. Fortunately, it's in the guest bath, so not often used.
It's not a popup drain but one with the stopper instead. It's a master bathroom so water backup's kind of annoying. Old pre-renovation sink was a vessel type as well and had a different drain but of the same kind and it used to drain just fine. And I know it's due to this new one's stopper openning considerably lower than the old one.

So, I've got a couple of drains lined up, the one I was asking about and new Kohler one. Supposedly new Kohler finish is not too dark so I'm thinking about checking it out too this weekend. That Kohler one would be a *perfect* fit.

Yeah, I know which drain type you talking about, one w/o the stopper. I remember showing it to my wife before and got a definitive no. So, here we are. Thanks for your comments!
Old 07-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #7

I don't like the drain either. But the sink is a handmade one my wife found in some pottery shop so she won't let me replace it.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM05 View Post
a different drain but of the same kind

These seem to be the kind that work best with vessels because the water from the faucet hits the top of it and disturbs the rest of the water trying to go down the drain, thus giving some air to the mix.

http://www.homehardware.ca/products/300/32704181.jpg
ben's plumbing (07-27-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
These seem to be the kind that work best with vessels because the water from the faucet hits the top of it and disturbs the rest of the water trying to go down the drain, thus giving some air to the mix.
Thanks for the suggestion!

There are a couple of Kohler drains I was considering. Pics are attached. Interestingly enough the 2nd one, one with the stopper, is not on the compatible drains list for our vessel sink. Makes me wonder if they think it's not gonna provide an adequate drainage. I may have to pick the one w/o the stopper, ie the 1st one.

What do you guys think about these 2 drains?
Attached Images

Last edited by SM05; 07-28-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Edit: went with the 1st one earlier today. Thanks again.