Bathroom Clogged Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bathroom clogged drain

hello, i've been having a very slow sink drain which slightly clears with plunging. last night i used some drano and along with hot water and more plunging today the drain is finally totally clear. now the tub won't drain...when i turn on the sink water i get back-up with sludge in the tub. the toilet and all other drains in the house are w/o any problems. i can't use a snake in the tub d/t a right angle from drain to main piping. any ideas? i'm a bit anxious re the sludge but if it were a sewer issue, i'd have back-up in other drains, right?

Advertisement

cwpetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Rewards Points: 250

bathroom clogged drain

You have a clog that needs to be augered out. All you did with the plunging is moved the clog from one area to another.

Drano et al needs to be outlawed!

Advertisement

JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

bathroom clogged drain

It depends on the layout of your plumbing. It's possible that the T/S are on a separate branch from where the toilet is.... usually not likely, but it happens occasionally.

Depends on what the clog is, but i've found that dumping some dawn in the sink and running straight hot for a while will cut grease and oil pretty well. If it's something worse, a snake may be the only option.

Since it seems to be past the shower now, you might be able to snake it that way, but often, the p-trap is a little tough to get through. It wouldn't actually hurt to pull the p-trap from the sink that was clogging and try to run the snake down that way. It actually might be easier...