Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Bathroom caulking cure time

I need to re-do some of the caulking in my bathroom, which in theory is an easy task, until you factor in that there are three people using this bathroom as it is the only shower in the house. At best I can get 24 hours of time from application until someone needs to take a shower. Most of the bathroom caulk I've seen recommend at a minimum 24 hours to cure - which makes me a bit nervous when it comes down to it.

What is the minimum time a shower caulk can sit before said shower can be used and / or are there some bathroom caulk that will set and cure in less time? If the caulk sits for 6-8 hours will a quick shower be ok or would that still cause issues later on?

If it were just me I could be a hermit for a weekend and not bathe but with 2 roommates also needing the bathroom it gets a little dicey...

thanks!

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #2

I apparently need to get better at Google.

Dap makes a 3-hour caulk.

http://hardwareaisle.thisoldhouse.co...caulk-for.html

Old 05-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

How did that 3-hour caulk work? I tried some fast curing stuff about 10 years ago and it was worthless. Had to rip it out and use the normal stuff.
lazzlazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I have a completely tiled shower stall. I always had trouble with caulk at the wall/floor joint. I tried a zillion different brands and techniques - it was a real PITA.

I finally took all of the old caulk out - let it stand for three days so that everything under the tile would dry out - then I re-caulked it and went of a weeks vacation. It's been perfect for over a year now. I'm lucky in that I have more than one bathroom. How friendly are you with your neighbors - maybe you could use theirs for a day or two?

Good luck with the 3 hour cure - let us know how it works out, maybe DAP is onto something.
upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,452

Silicone caulk skins in a few hours. That should work.

The biggest problem is not the cure time---the areas to be caulked must be absolutely bone dry for the silicone to stick properly.

A compressor to blow out any trapped water--space heater for a few hours?--hair drier for the final drying before application of the silicone?

Good luck--You need a flexible caulk in a shower area.---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #6

I'm waiting on the contractor that did the bathroom remodel to make a fix before I tear all the caulk out (again.) I'll be sure to post how it works once I re-do it though. The previous application actually held up really well, I think the issue is the wall / tile is moving more than it should and its causing the caulk to seperate in a few areas...