Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom in the basement. Please Help

I have decided to finish my basement and I would really like to avoid spending more money than I need too. Where I am planning on putting the bathroom there is a drain in the floor and on the right of that drain is a pipe that comes out of the furnace and splits. one end goes right into the concrete and the other is open (some type of vent I assume). If you open the drain in the floor it flows to the left (toward the road) but on the right of it there appears to be a rubber flapper. I think the condensation from the furnace run in here. The question I'm getting at is can I run the sewage from a toilet and a sink right into the drain? I attached some pictures so you can get the visual. Thanks in advanced for the help.

Ward9320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,202

You described a back water valve. The flapper keeps sewage from going upstream and boiling out your floor drain or any other fixtures on that pipe branch should there be a blockage downstream. That opening is to service the valve. Do not alter it. Sounds like you need to open the floor up and tie into the line upstream of the BW valve You don't mention the pipe size-- needs to be 3" min. Then you need to run vents for the added fixtures.

TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Sorry for my ignorance but if I understand what you are saying is that I can tie the new toilet and sink into that line as long as it is further down the pipe, has it's own air valve, and is 3 in (which it is)? Tearing up "some" cement is not a problem, I just don't want to buy a expensive pump or have to tear up half of the cement in the basement.
Ward9320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,202

The connection point needs to be upstream of the backwater valve. Meaning that the waste from the new toilet and lav has to drain through the BW valve to exit the house.
Can't be sure but it sort of looks like your BW valve is on a 2" line that serves the floor (hub) drain
TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, bathroom, plumbing, toilet