Bathroom In Basement - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

bathroom in basement

I have a toilet roughed in the basement. Could I use that drain for a shower and install a saniflow toilet that does not need a drain?

Advertisement

beech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

bathroom in basement

keep in mind that there is not a trap in the concrete, with that I dont see any way of using it without busting up the floor

Advertisement

Ltnicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ltnicks For This Useful Post:
beech (11-16-2010)
Old 11-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 604

bathroom in basement

I recently learned about macerating toilets on this forum. Here's a youtube link about it. Can connect a shower drain to it also.

Hope this helps,
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Homerepairguy For This Useful Post:
beech (11-16-2010)
Old 11-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
DIY Home owner

Rewards Points: 25

bathroom in basement

I had to bust up some of the floor in my basement bathroom. It is not all that bad... If you wanna have a normal toilet and shower, first mark out all your fixture locations. Then using a masonry blade, score the surface of the concrete on either side of the shower drain line (probably 10-12" apart so a shovel fits) and then bust it up with a sledge hammer. Cut out an opening under where the tub or shower drain would be to dig out for the trap.

When the concrete it out, dig out the stone and dirt deep enough so that you can work in the trench, and deep enough to allow for the trap assembly and downward pitch to the toilet drain. You would probably have to cut out around the toilet flange too, and install a new drain pipe that has a T inlet for the shower drain to attach to. After the plumbing connections are complete, use the dirt and stone you dug out to back fill the hole. Mix up a bag of concrete and pour that over the stone, troweling it smooth and flush with the surrounding floor surface. You can finish it off with self leveling compound if need be.

Problem with just installing a shower is that there would be no trap, allowing sewer gasses to come up the drain. You would have to elevate the shower base high enough to install a trap below, however, shower drains are smaller than the toilet drain anyway, but if it extends at least an inch or two above the floor you could rig up a coupler I guess. I'd be kinda ghetto, and I'm not even sure it would pass an inspection if you have to have one.

Last edited by wherm5150; 11-16-2010 at 08:56 PM.
wherm5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wherm5150 For This Useful Post:
beech (11-17-2010)
Old 11-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

bathroom in basement

Quote:
I have a toilet roughed in in the basement.
I'm not understanding any of the above comments so far.

If the rough-in was intended for a toilet to begin with then there would be enough egress for the shower also but you would have to break into the floor to get it done properly. This would involve modifying the toilet rough under the floor. As far as a trap for the toilet...those traps are in the toilet fixture itself, not under the floor. Assuming the toilet-rough is vented properly right there at the rough-in you should be good to go after installing the shower drain under the floor.

Maybe I'm lost!
beech (11-17-2010)
Old 11-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 604

bathroom in basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
I'm not understanding any of the above comments so far.

If the rough-in was intended for a toilet to begin with then there would be enough egress for the shower also but you would have to break into the floor to get it done properly. This would involve modifying the toilet rough under the floor. As far as a trap for the toilet...those traps are in the toilet fixture itself, not under the floor. Assuming the toilet-rough is vented properly right there at the rough-in you should be good to go after installing the shower drain under the floor.

Maybe I'm lost!
The OP said: "I have a toilet roughed in the basement. Could I use that drain for a shower and install a saniflow toilet that does not need a drain?"

The part about "and install a saniflow toilet that does not need a drain?" leads me to believe that he/she doesn't want to bust up the floor for whatever reason. It will be interesting to see what the OP really wants to do.

Keep it warm,
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Homerepairguy For This Useful Post:
beech (11-17-2010)
Old 11-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

bathroom in basement

Oh, Yow, OK, Got It!
I must have missed the saniflow thing entirely.

Advertisement

beech (11-17-2010)