Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

bathroom

Hello everyone,
I am planning to make a bathroom in basement. Supply line for my kitchen passes through the bathroom right in the ceiling. I am wondering If I can get supply for bathroom from them?.

My house is a newly built and have plastic instead of copper pipes.
My second question is about the plastic pipes. I am just concerned If they are safe , as there was a big news about bisphenols in plastic in baby bottles. I heard they causes cancers, sterility, and other mutations. I liked copper more because we have it already in our body.

Thanks

raulakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #2

bathroom

If they are 3/4" pipe (ID) then yes you can use them. as far as safety well, they claim they are safe.

plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #3

bathroom

"Plastic" is a common term for water supply piping. It may be PVC, CPVC or PEX. I have heard of no problems with any of these. If the water lines are 1/2", you may have a problem with supplying sufficient water to the fixtures. Water supply is the least of the plumbing problems (laborwise)unless the drainage has been roughed in already.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #4

bathroom

Another quick addition to all of that is the cold line feeding the kitchen may be hard water. Not sure but just a heads up.
fhrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #5

bathroom

I am replacing an existing bathtub with a fiberglass tub. Rather than using a surround, we intend to tile the shower area. Can I use a tub with "lips" designed for a surround? If so, how do we get the tile to lay flat over the lip?
flegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #6

bathroom

Most bathtubs have a flange around the edges. This is used to secure the tub to the studs. Then drywall (wet area type) is placed over the flange and secured to the studs. I have seen cement board notched on the back side so there is no "lump" at the bottom from the flange thickness. If you are installing a plastic or fiberglass tub, be sure to read the instructions pertaining to installing a mortarbed under it. This prevents the bottom of the tub from flexing when someone steps into it.