Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 31

bath vents

Hi,
My NuTone/Broan bath exhaust vents seem very drafty and let in quite a bit of cold air. The light cover feels cold and I can hear the flapper moving on high wind days.
What is the best way to seal the vents? I know that the units have a plastic flapper on them, but they don't seem to seal very well. I know that I need the vents but there has to be a better way to control drafts. My parents 50+year old home has vents, but they are not cold.
Thanks.

nbmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

bath vents

What type of exhaust outlet does it have exiting the house, and is it mounted on a wall ?,roof ? or soffit. BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

bath vents

NB,
My nutone fans have a black plastic collar with damper at the actual box in the bathroom. Tthis damper should function by blowing open, then dropping fully closed when ther is no pressue.
At the outside I have replaced my plastic vents for dryer and fans with a heavy gauge steel riveted vent hood. This device has a well built hinge and a washer with bolt for weight drilled through the door so it closes fully and QUIETLY and doesn't rattle in the wind. It cost abot $20 at HD and included about a 12" neck extension. I foam sealed it and my laundry room and kitchen are noticeably warmer now in the morning.
Nutone also makes a bulkier hood with a styrofoam ball that rolls up an incline to relieve exhaust and then rolls back down. It looks quite good, but bulky and when I held it up to daylight I could see a bit of light still around the ball and I want to aseal out the cold... Great concept but my bigger fear is that the styrofoam will eventually wear or chip.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote