Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #1

Share |
Question

bath tub w/out apron

i bought a regular 30x60 bath tub with an apron (cause most come with it) but now that i'm looking at it i think it would look better if there was no apron and i connected the walls from the left and right of it under the tub with tiles like the rest of the wall so the tub looks totally dropped in the tile from all sides.

i would do it by setting a 2x4 sole plate right under where the front ledge/cuff is now and setting mini studs to the height needed to support the tub.

but it seems really hard to find a tub like that.

my tub is Bootz Industries Bootzcast, enameled steel with porcelain. there is some stiff foamy padding on the underside. i was wondering if it would be smart to actually cut the apron off in a straight line with a 4.5" grinder and a cutoff wheel and then polish the edge somehow to accomplish this.

i really want the tile all around the tub, including the apron, looks much more elegant and minimalist.

thanks
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Tileguy

bath tub w/out apron

Okay now this is just me but I gotta tell ya; That whole idea is insane. Each and every aspect of it. This is not a Rube Goldberg website and I doubt anyone here will sanction those techniques.

So I'm outta here except to say: Send us some pictures of the steel/porcelainized tub after you cut it with your grinder, I gotta see that. That way that technique can be memorialized here in a "DON'T EVER DO THIS" special area.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-27-2011)
Old 11-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #3

bath tub w/out apron

if thats the look you want buy a drop in garden tub that is designed for that purpose...you frame a box and drop it in..then bud might not be so grumpy
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (11-27-2011)
Old 11-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #4

bath tub w/out apron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
if thats the look you want buy a drop in garden tub that is designed for that purpose
that's an answer to what i wanna do, however, i'm not finding a tub like that anywhere.
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #5

bath tub w/out apron

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
that's an answer to what i wanna do, however, i'm not finding a tub like that anywhere.
sterling all pro 60x30x15 suitable for tile down application conforms to ansi Z124.1.2 #61041120 you could look up this info from I think home depot or lowes stock sterling....or www.sterling.com...hope this helps let me know..Ben........ hey was just looking..also lawson 60x32x20..71261100 this might be better says for pocket or island install...

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 11-27-2011 at 07:24 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathtub