Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #1

Share |

Bath Tub leaking into basmenent

Hello Everyone
Newbee here. Not a particular fan for plumbing but was hoping for atleast a direction with this repair before i call a plumber

I have an older home, built in 1925, and the tub is enamel and is located on the first floor. i have a odd leak problem. i can fill the tub and let the water sit for hours without any water leakage below in the basement. That would seem to indicate the seal around the flange is ok. when taking a shower however, the tub leaks into the basement. less water = leaking? odd.

The flange and the connecting pipe below the tub appear to be rusted together. tried to remove it last night, no luck! any tips?

Also the original piping below the tup that connects to the flange meets a new pvc pipe in the basement above where the leak is occuring.

Any ideas?

hateplumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

I would look at the seams between the shower wall and tub, or around the tub spout and drain control for the leak. If it doesn't leak AT ALL during a full cycle using it as a bath tub (filling and then draining), but leaks during a shower, my guess is that it's not a plumbing problem.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #3

Turn on the shower and go down in the basement and see where the leak is. It could be from shower water hitting the valve cover or the overflow cover and leaking in there. Neither of these get wet during a bath. Or it could be a slow leak in the actual drain pipe. The drain pipe only has water in it for a couple minutes when you drain the bath so not much time to leak. When you shower it carries water for a longer time.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

I take it the plumbing is exposed in the basement?
Fill up the tub using the spout. Drain the tub and run to your basement while it's draining to see where it's leaking. If you don't see a leak then it's either the pipe going to your shower head or the grout, tub seal, or seal around the shower body allowing water through.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote