Bath Tub Knob Problem - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By oh'mike
  • 1 Post By SeniorSitizen

Old 09-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

Bath Tub knob problem

Hi All, I have an issue. I am not getting any hot water at all. How to I fix this or replace it? I cannot seem to get the Valve out??? (I have hot water everywhere else. There is also a stand up shower right behind this wall with hot water
Attached Thumbnails
Bath Tub knob problem-img_4509.jpg   Bath Tub knob problem-img_4511.jpg  

Advertisement

weimed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 318

Re: Bath Tub knob problem

You may need a cartdrige puller.

Check for any retaining clips. From the pic it looks like a broken piece in there. Could just be the pic. Im looking at it on a small cell phone.

Is that a moen or delta by chance?

Advertisement

jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
weimed (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
You may need a cartdrige puller.

Check for any retaining clips. From the pic it looks like a broken piece in there. Could just be the pic. Im looking at it on a small cell phone.

Is that a moen or delta by chance?

I broke that a little piece of plastic on top trying to pull it with grips. I went to HD and they said they don't carry such tools

Old 09-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 7,174

That is a Moen--Depot had a Moen Cartridge puller---If they don't know what you want--go to another store.

Use the puller---trying to get a stuck cartridge out with channel locks may cause you to snap off the brass rod---then you will be in trouble.

As stated---make sure you remove the U shaped retaining clip before pulling.

Clean the inside of the valve body with a rolled up sheet of sand paper.
jmon likes this.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,668

If a specific pulling tool isn't available a flaring clamp will get a grip on the brass stem.
Attached Thumbnails
Bath Tub knob problem-flare-jaws-close-2016.jpg  
Attached Images

jmon likes this.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #6

Thanks. I got the puller but could not get it to work. I ended up drilling into it and break off peices with a flat head as a rubber hammer until i got everything out. I went to HD and bought the $34 cartridge. I dis notice a little scrape inside the valve from the flathead but it was not bad looking just more of a scratch. The first time I installed the cartridge, i had a decent amount of water coming out the faucet when knob was on off position. I pulled it out lubed it and put it back in and now i got a drip every 15 seconds. How can icfix this? Continue to play with it or, should i go to hd and get the original Moen for $5 more? (Purchased the aftermatket brand)
Old 09-04-2016, 09:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 318

You can try that, If it were me, I would take the cartridge back and get the original moen cartridge for 5 dollars more. Just my opinion.

Another option; If you call or go online to moen's website, click on support, they will send you the right OEM moen cartridge at no charged if you don't mind waiting a couple days for shipping. You can't beat free! I've done it many times. Very reputable company.

You will need model number of faucet. No problem if you don't have it, you can go to their website and find it under identify faucet.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:32 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 30

NEVER use generic Moen-type parts. ONLY use Moen brand replacement parts for Moen faucets. There are substantial quality and performance differences. In addition, I believe you destroyed your faucet body by improperly removing the old cartridge. I bet, in order to stop the drip, you are going to have to remove and replace the entire faucet body.
SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SHR Plumber For This Useful Post:
weimed (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR Plumber View Post
NEVER use generic Moen-type parts. ONLY use Moen brand replacement parts for Moen faucets. There are substantial quality and performance differences. In addition, I believe you destroyed your faucet body by improperly removing the old cartridge. I bet, in order to stop the drip, you are going to have to remove and replace the entire faucet body.
Yep, I did do some damage in there as I seen gouges from my flathead. After messing around with the "Original Moen product. I managed to get it to stop leaking. The only issue now is it leaks from the handle when the water is on (which i can live with for now as I rarely use the garden tub). I will need to pull it out within a couple years anyway when I plan to redo my Master bathroom.
Thanks All.
The Following User Says Thank You to weimed For This Useful Post:
jmon (09-06-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 02:28 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 30

Water leaking from around the handle area often leads to mold growth inside the wall. Replace the valve as soon as possible to avoid this dangerous and expensive to repair problem.

Advertisement

SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote